Why hello there!

Enchanted Snow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, my name is Sam. I'm 15 years old and am a freshmen in high school. I spend most of my time writing and working with my horse, Sonita. But I also spend a lot of my spare time with photography, or just taking pictures:mrgreen:. Same thing I guess:blushing:.

I've alway's enjoyed taking photos whenever I have a camera with me, even my camera on my cell. I don't know a dang thing about cameras and all that other stuff it takes to be a photographer, but I'm a quick learner;). I've recently decided to take my interest with photography to the next level and make it an obsession next to my horse and writing. I'm a very creative person and have always noticed things that others don't and have always wanted people to see what I see. Hence me always taking pictures.

For christmas I've decided to ask for a camera, a nice one, and would like to know what ya'll reccomend? What's a good camera to take photos in the dark, but also in the light? What's a nice reliable camera? Please nothing too expensive, because if I can't get one for christmas I plan to buy one myself.

Thanks and I hope to get to know you all!

~Sam

What's "nothing too expensive" to you? A price range would help a lot with getting solid suggestions. Also, are you interested in digital or film? I'm assuming from your age that photography to you means digital, but that could be a completely incorrect, age-ist assumption on my part. The good in dark and light conditions also would seem to indicate digital, but that too is an assumption.

My suggestion is going to be for the best Nikon DSLR that you can afford (used could be a great option here) with a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a decent zoom that covers a fairly wide range of focal lengths. I'm also a Nikon fan-boy, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt. If/when you get it, try to avoid the automatic mode as much as you can so that you can start to learn and understand how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together.

And read. And look at photos that you like and try to understand what you like about them. Also try to find out/figure out how they were taken (in terms of what settings were used and why).

Oh, and ask questions. LOTS of questions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back