Why is most street photography black and white?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I always wondered why street photography is mostly black and white?

Is it we (the photographers that do street Photography) just follow what has been an unwritten rule?

What else are the reasons... I posted a blog post here: http://www.andreastimm.com/photo-posts/why-is-most-street-photography-black-and-white/

Would be interested in your opinion!

Photo I attached: “Color Street Photography” – Munich, Germany, 2014

Attachments

• Color Street Photography-Andreas Timm-2014.jpg
    Color Street Photography-Andreas Timm-2014.jpg
    900.9 KB · Views: 2,912
Hi all,

Is it we (the photographers that do street Photography) just follow what has been an unwritten rule?

What else are the reasons... I posted a blog post here: http://www.andreastimm.com/photo-posts/why-is-most-street-photography-black-and-white/

As pgriz said ""Street" is usually depicting the relationship of the subject to the environment. B/W tends to reduce the distractions and allow us to focus on the key elements." Which is spot on. The image you posted would more likely fall into the abstract genre.

It is partly tradition/shooting style and partly an aesthetic preference. A lot of street photographers are inspired by old masters like HCB, who used to shoot b&w in the days when most photography was b&w as was the documentary. HCB said intelligent geometry and composition were almost a physical pleasure to him, and b&w helps that. These old photogs developed their concepts, that have been copied or followed since. Often b&w was a necessity due to a chaotic colour schemes of a street scene. Later many street photogs started to travel to places like Far East or Latin America and exploring the opportunities of colour, and now there are many who shoot in colour only. For some great masters, like Webb, colour is now the main language of a street photo. One can not say street photography is b&w only these days, quite contrary. But the problem of colour is that, though a powerful instrument, it makes it more difficult to shoot street. It is just another dimention that has to be right. Having said that, modern street gives more opportunities for "easy" colour shots, like the one you have posted. The colour scheme of a modern street in US and Europe is vastly different compared to 70-50 years ago. On the other hand modern cameras with fast focus and wide dynamic range allow for more difficult street exposures that work with colours, like edge lit compositions etc.
I love colour and almost never shoot street b&w.

Last edited:
it looks gritty and most lighting isn't ideal

Hi Trever1t - agree most street photography looks gritty and lighting is typically not perfect. So do you think this is on purpose or it "just happens" when people do street photography?

Cheers,
Andreas

"Street" is usually depicting the relationship of the subject to the environment. B/W tends to reduce the distractions and allow us to focus on the key elements.

Hi pgriz,

makes sense - so B/W is just more simple, focussed...

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi all,

As pgriz said ""Street" is usually depicting the relationship of the subject to the environment. B/W tends to reduce the distractions and allow us to focus on the key elements." Which is spot on. The image you posted would more likely fall into the abstract genre.

purposely. Have you ever heard the expression clean as the streets? No? Me either.

It is partly tradition/shooting style and partly an aesthetic preference. A lot of street photographers are inspired by old masters like HCB, who used to shoot b&w in the days when most photography was b&w as was the documentary. HCB said intelligent geometry and composition were almost a physical pleasure to him, and b&w helps that. These old photogs developed their concepts, that have been copied or followed since. Often b&w was a necessity due to a chaotic colour schemes of a street scene. Later many street photogs started to travel to places like Far East or Latin America and exploring the opportunities of colour, and now there are many who shoot in colour only. For some great masters, like Webb, colour is now the main language of a street photo. One can not say street photography is b&w only these days, quite contrary. But the problem of colour is that, though a powerful instrument, it makes it more difficult to shoot street. It is just another dimention that has to be right. Having said that, modern street gives more opportunities for "easy" colour shots, like the one you have posted. The colour scheme of a modern street in US and Europe is vastly different compared to 70-50 years ago. On the other hand modern cameras with fast focus and wide dynamic range allow for more difficult street exposures that work with colours, like edge lit compositions etc.
I love colour and almost never shoot street b&w.

Hi sashbar,

thanks for your reply and the feedback. I am just trying to do street photography more in color, but as you mentioned above: "It is just another dimension that has to be right". I fully agree! But this somehow also says: Traditional B/W street photographers are somewhat lazy... right?

Best,
Andreas

Have you ever heard the expression clean as the streets?

Hmm.. no sorry, but that may be due to not being a native english speaker... so what does it mean and how does it relate to my initial post and the question why street photography is typically B/W?

Tx.

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi sashbar,

thanks for your reply and the feedback. I am just trying to do street photography more in color, but as you mentioned above: "It is just another dimension that has to be right". I fully agree! But this somehow also says: Traditional B/W street photographers are somewhat lazy... right?

Best,
Andreas

Not necessarily. Colour photography can be as lazy, it all depends of demands and expectations. A top b&w street photog who spends hours on the street every day and says four good images in a year is an excellent return, can hardly be lazy :).

Not necessarily. Colour photography can be as lazy, it all depends of demands and expectations. A top b&w street photog who spends hours on the street every day and says four good images in a year is an excellent return, can hardly be lazy :).

Hmm... good point! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back