why is this happening?

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This photo is not great, didn't really edit it but the conversion, so no need for critique.

I was looking through my drops and I noticed in all but two, it seems as though they are going in reverse. There are trails on them, but they are giving the idea that the drop is going up, not down.

does anyone know why it's doing that?

$DSC_0741-1.jpg

I am willing to bet that the on board flash fired, lit the drop as it was falling, and then the incidental light in the exposure made the ghosting appear below it as the shutter was open and the droplet was dropping.

If you can set your onboard flash to 'second curtain' mode, you'll get a more realistic looking effect. What was your shot data? Or Exif info?

You are letting in too much ambient light.

Yeah, my faux light set up was not good enough so I just hit the pop up flash to see what would happen.

I tried to export the exif info for ya, but it saved in *.xmp I dunno how to read that file type accross the net.

I noticed new info that I never really seen before under the flash area, I don't use flash so it's foreign to me.

Looks like I'm going to have a lot to learn once I get into flashes and lighting.

$exifinfo.jpg

Try it again with manual and set it to 1/200, iso100, f/5.6 with flash. Turn off all the lights. Close all the blinds and let enough sun in where you can still see and focus.

A flash photo is actually two exposures: the flash exposure and the ambient exposure. The common denominator in both is the aperture. The flash power setting determines how much light the flash produces, and the shutter speed regulates how much ambient light gets recorded.

Try it again with manual and set it to 1/200, iso100, f/5.6 with flash. Turn off all the lights. Close all the blinds and let enough sun in where you can still see and focus.

I'll give that a whirl. This was done at like midnight or something like that.

A flash photo is actually two exposures: the flash exposure and the ambient exposure. The common denominator in both is the aperture. The flash power setting determines how much light the flash produces, and the shutter speed regulates how much ambient light gets recorded.

Good info, thanks.

I am willing to bet that the on board flash fired, lit the drop as it was falling, and then the incidental light in the exposure made the ghosting appear below it as the shutter was open and the droplet was dropping.

If you can set your onboard flash to 'second curtain' mode, you'll get a more realistic looking effect. What was your shot data? Or Exif info?

im going with this. switching to second curtain mode should put the trails behind the droplet and it will look like the water is going down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back