Why Nikon must kill the D7100

Good guy - you will need an adapter to use even the best CaNikon DSLR glass with their mirrorles. Unless for some reason they decide to keep the long flange distance, thus making their mirrorless as bulky as DSLRs. Otherwise the need for an adapter kind of defeats this glass awesomeness. And this is one of the reasons why CaNikon with their huge number of top DSLR glass do not hurry to embrace mirrorless, methinks.

Its obvious an adapter will be needed for any kind of FF mirrorless Nikon will make, the question is other then the discomfort of adapter will these DSLR era lenses still work just as good on these bodies ?
AF as fast ?
Produce sharp and good IQ files ?

I mean (and that goes for both Canon and Nikon) if you can use your good glass just as efficiently on the new generation mirrorles this will give many people the time and breathing space to slowly in time sell or retire their older glass and move to the new generation glass.
This will also put less pressure on Nikon and Canon to design a whole new fast pro glass right at the time they will introduce mirrorless to replace their DSLR.

Will it work as good with an adapter? Good question. Probably depends on adapter.
As for less pressure - maybe, in the very short term. But , as I mentioned above, dedicated mirrorless lenses of the same quality and spec. are cheaper to manufacture, so CaNikon will start losing ground to competiton, if they stubbornly keep manufacturing DSLR lenses for mirrorless cameras :)

Good guy - you will need an adapter to use even the best CaNikon DSLR glass with their mirrorles. Unless for some reason they decide to keep the long flange distance, thus making their mirrorless as bulky as DSLRs. Otherwise the need for an adapter kind of defeats this glass awesomeness. And this is one of the reasons why CaNikon with their huge number of top DSLR glass do not hurry to embrace mirrorless, methinks.

Its obvious an adapter will be needed for any kind of FF mirrorless Nikon will make, the question is other then the discomfort of adapter will these DSLR era lenses still work just as good on these bodies ?
AF as fast ?
Produce sharp and good IQ files ?

I mean (and that goes for both Canon and Nikon) if you can use your good glass just as efficiently on the new generation mirrorles this will give many people the time and breathing space to slowly in time sell or retire their older glass and move to the new generation glass.
This will also put less pressure on Nikon and Canon to design a whole new fast pro glass right at the time they will introduce mirrorless to replace their DSLR.

Will it work as good with an adapter? Good question. Probably depends on adapter.
As for less pressure - maybe, in the very short term. But , as I mentioned above, dedicated mirrorless lenses of the same quality and spec. are cheaper to manufacture, so CaNikon will start losing ground to competiton, if they stubbornly keep manufacturing DSLR lenses for mirrorless cameras :)
Oh no I dont think either of them will produce DSLR lenses for mirrorless, thats stupid but for users like me if I will get a new mirrorless body and my lenses will work fine with an adapter this will be an amazing way to slowly move to the new standard instead to be forced to shell many thousants of dollars in one go on a whole new system.
If that will happened I will be mad enough to seriously consider to move away from Nikon.

Looking at your post "sashbar" it is painfully obvious there is one question unasked and unanswered, Where are the big two when it comes to mirrorless ?
Why did they each produced there quite unimpressive mirrorless bodies while companies like Oly, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung make mostly mirrorless and indeed they are getting better and better in an ever faster progress while the big two stick to their guns and make the old yet still superior (but not for much longer) DSLR.

I really don't know but I can try to look at it in a hopeful logical manner.
Both Canon and Nikon make their cameras first to pro's and second to everyone else, they must produce the best current technology has to offer and as much as many will disagree or dislike DSLR while stretched to its near limits still is the better overall package.
I think in both Canon and Nikon they are working on a pro-body mirorless to replace their DSLR's but until they will not have a proven superior camera to DSLR they will keep making DSLR.
They simply cant afford to make less then top notch pro cameras.
If they will loose their pro's vote they can close shop and go home.
So I am positive both Nikon and Canon will come out with Mirrorless once it is proven and superior to what DSLR can do and I am sure this will not be much longer to wait for.

I for one have no problem with that, actually I am excited and will love to see mirrorless to make the complete change but.....................................

I have only one BIG concern and I think everybody with good glass has same concern

Will these new tech mirrorless work with their expensive glass ?
If I will be able to use my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200mm on these cameras I will be a happy camper, if not I am not sure I would be happy and stick with either Canon or Nikon!!!
I can use virtually an lens made on my A7 so if they made one they would make sure all their lenses work

I can use virtually an lens made on my A7 so if they made one they would make sure all their lenses work

I can use any Nikon or Canon glass with my FUJI right now.
I can but the adater for canon ef lenses to auto focus and adjust aperture is very expensive but I wouldn't use my ef lenses anyway, I only shoot it with a 28,35 and 50mm

Oh no I dont think either of them will produce DSLR lenses for mirrorless, thats stupid but for users like me if I will get a new mirrorless body and my lenses will work fine with an adapter this will be an amazing way to slowly move to the new standard instead to be forced to shell many thousants of dollars in one go on a whole new system.
If that will happened I will be mad enough to seriously consider to move away from Nikon.

C'mon goodguy, you just bought a brand spanking new, probably the best all-round Nikon camera currently available and you are already worrying about the future upgrade thinking of moving away from Nikon! :chuncky:

Our discussion reminded me of an old anecdote.
A guy wanted to iron his shirt and found his iron broken.
So he goes to his neighbor who happens to be an attractive girl.
He rings the bell and starts thinking.
"OK, I will ask her to lend me an iron for half an hour. She will ask me why do I need it. I will have to explain that I am going to the party. She will answer - OK grab one bottle for me! And I will. And we will drink that bottle, and then we will have sex. And then we will start dating and eventually marry. And then we will have a kid. Maybe two. And what if she wants more... And I will spend my best years changing nappies. And then, when kids grow up, she will start cheating on me. Then she will find another man. And I will be alone, old and poor, and nobody will ever invite me to a party any more".
Here the girl opens the front door.
The guy looks at her coldly and says: "You know what b..c, go and f..k yourself with your iron!".

goodguy said:
Still the D7100 keeps a lot of potential Nikon customer away from FX bodies.

I'm not so sure about that...the $2200 and $3200 price tags are what keeps people away from the FX Nikons...

It's not that the D7100 exists...it is that the FX Nikons cost another thousand or two thousand dollars MORE than whatever high-end consumer DX body Nikon happens to offer. The distinction I am making might seem facile, but I really mean it. A LOT of people cannot see their way clear to buy a $2,000-plus or $3,000-plus dollar camera body. It's not the D7100 keeping people away from FX Nikons--it's economics and family budgets and the down economy.

If Nikon offered a crappier FX body at the $1199 price point, that would not drive people to cameras they cannot afford...people would just shoot lower-performing cameras, so killing off the D7100 would be a lose-lose situation for both consumers, and for Nikon.
Agree. And don't forget the cost of lenses, and the weight of camera/lens combinations. With a 300mm lens on my D7000, I get 450mm equivalent. Compared to my 70-300 or 18-300 lens, 450mm lenses for an FX body are very expensive and very heavy.

I love my D7000 but have dreams of a D610 or D750. But the cost, weight, and my collection of DX glass will probably keep me in DX for at least a couple of more years.

C'mon goodguy, you just bought a brand spanking new, probably the best all-round Nikon camera currently available and you are already worrying about the future upgrade thinking of moving away from Nikon! :chuncky:

I did like the joke :)

But keeping it serious for a sec, as we all know glass is the most expensive part of our system, in the last year I got my Nikon 24-70mm and Tamron 70-200mm thinking this will be my glass for a long time and I still hope so, I will not be happy to find it unusable or can be used limited with its capabilities in the future.
Of course I just bought the D750 and I doubt I will leave it in the near 2 years but if I will feel Nikon will not make its future bodies fully working with these lenses (with adaptor) I will not be happy, not at all.

But keeping it serious for a sec, as we all know glass is the most expensive part of our system, in the last year I got my Nikon 24-70mm and Tamron 70-200mm thinking this will be my glass for a long time and I still hope so, I will not be happy to find it unusable or can be used limited with its capabilities in the future.
Of course I just bought the D750 and I doubt I will leave it in the near 2 years but if I will feel Nikon will not make its future bodies fully working with these lenses (with adaptor) I will not be happy, not at all.

For all 'ya guys with money buying current AF-S G lenses it is
I have mostly AF-D lenses.
My 3 lens "Trinity" is actually less than my refurb'd D600 body.

That's why I need a Mirrorless to have an AF adapter for my AF-D lenses.
Otherwise, the price to switch would be too great. I'll be shooting on 2nd hand superlight d6x bodies at 20fps w/Carbon Fiber bodies until it dies. :( ... oh wait ... :)

For all 'ya guys with money buying current AF-S G lenses it is
I have mostly AF-D lenses.
My 3 lens "Trinity" is actually less than my refurb'd D600 body.

That's why I need a Mirrorless to have an AF adapter for my AF-D lenses.
Otherwise, the price to switch would be too great. I'll be shooting on 2nd hand superlight d6x bodies at 20fps w/Carbon Fiber bodies until it dies. :( ... oh wait ... :)
If I had the money I would get the D810 and D5300 as second body :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back