Why no metadata breakdown in LR?

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Lightroom and I'm pretty new to it, but something seems wrong with the way mine is set up or working. When I'm in the Library module the Metadata Browser on the left lists a bunch of categories like camera, aperture, and lens, but nothing is listed under them. For example under aperture I would expect something like f/8 - 54, f/5.6 - 67, etc., but there's nothing under any of them except file type. It lists JPEG - 134 (all the files I've imported so far are jpgs). My files do have metadata attached and I can click on any of my pictures and see info under metadata on the right side so it's not like the data is missing and that's why it's noy categorizing my metadata.

Any one know what's wrong or how I can fix it?

Try shooting RAW and see what happens. Lightroom is designed for RAW anyway.

Try shooting RAW and see what happens. Lightroom is designed for RAW anyway.

What do you mean it was designed for RAW anyway? According to Adobe, it can handle "JPEG, TIFF, DNG, and camera RAW". Every other aspect of LR seems to work fine on all my jpegs. Even if I started shooting RAW right now I still want those jpegs in my library and I can't go back and reshoot them. Besides LR does seem to see the metadata as it's shown for each file on the right side. It's just not allowing to views groups of photos based on metadata criteria. Here is a screenshot to show what I'm talking about.

2574407102_92102eaa79_o.jpg

I just checked and I have metadata for JPG, RAW, DNG, PSD and TIFF files.

You are clicking the little arrow next to Lens to expand that (and all others) category right? It should turn 90 degrees to point down and show the lenses used in the collection.

Also, not that I think it will help, but there is a 1.4 update available for Lightroom.

Yes, I am clicking on the arrow to expand the category, but nothing happens. I could swear they all used to be there and then they all just disappeared. I'll try updating to 1.4, but it seems like it should be working now.

You are clicking the little arrow next to Lens to expand that (and all others) category right?

I am a complete and total moron!! I know I said I was clicking on the little arrow, but what I meant was I was clicking on the row for any given field. I just found out you indeed actually have to click on the little arrow, not just the row it is in. OF course, once I do all the info is there as it should be. I feel so stupid, but I'm thankful I finally figured it out. Thanks again Dweller!

Glad to hear you go it fixed! The Interface is not what I would consider totally following the windows Standard. I would expect that at the very least you could double click the category title and open it but that does not seem to work. It has to be the arrow.

When I get the LR 2.0 beta back on here I will have to experiment with that and see if they changed that behavior at all.

Most reactions

Back