Why Photography?

Hey, slackercruster....glad to see you back.
Did you get tired of posting under "Ilovemycam"?

Because when one of my images is without a pulse I don't have to start CPR, and then notify the family of the bad outcome. I just trash it.

I just enjoy capturing memories and moments :) before I learnt about photographer I used to carry a video camera around with me everywhere.

I wish I had something more profound than "I like it and I am not terrible at it" but I don't.

This is the reply that is likely closer to the truth

So I could be a chick magnet.

This is the reply I'd like to be the truth ;)

Honestly I started photography because I was in a bored rut and wanted something to entertain my creative side and free time; however like many I find myself very poor with many drawing and painting skills*. Then I looked a photography, and suddenly since I'd last looked at it it had gone digital - away from chemicals and dark rooms that I don't understand and closer so something that I do. Couple that with the fact that for the first time ever I actually had the money to get not just cheap camera, but a really good one with a lens or two and I thought "eh I'll give it a try."

Lots of money later and I really do still enjoy it lots :)

*I oft think that the subject of art itself is poorly taught at most schools with most teachers being unable or unwilling to teach the fundamental building blocks. As a result many who could otherwise learn fail to do so because they only produce poor results as a result of not having the building block skills taught to them to work with

Photography is a love and passion of mine for a couple of reasons....

1) I am a big giant FAILURE at any other art form. I can barely draw a stick figure, can't paint and I just never stuck with music (guitar, piano, bass). I'm an IT Professional and technology has always come natural to me since a very early age. I think it's the technology that honestly fascinated me to begin with (along with the creative aspect of photography). I always had an interest in web design though and that's how I knew that I did have an interest in at least some form of art. Photography has been something that I have thoroughly enjoyed. I enjoy the gear, the technology and the ways I can express myself with it all.

My money always goes to some random hobby or "thing" that I'm into at the moment. Since photography has come along I don't bounce between hobbies like a ping pong ball that I eventually end up losing interest in quickly.

I can honestly say that since finding photography and learning about it, I honestly see the world differently now. It's like my eyes have changed and I notice things now that I never saw before. It's been a great journey and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

I get into photography because I want to have my photo products to be more presentable on the website but then I discovered more than the product photography. You cannot just shoot a portrait and its done. In photography you will have to be creative and what will be the outcome of your photos. A photo that will be unique and different from the rest. The creativity in me that have comes out since I got into photography. :wink:

People are interesting, the world is beautiful,and light shapes it all.

ps - technology is cool

What makes us spend thousands of $ on equipment and even more time taking the actual photographs? If i had saved all the money and time that I have spent on photography it scares me what I could have done.
So why do I spend all this time and money on my photography? I think it is safe to say that for the majority it is a way to express themselfs creativly, and I am no different. But as I am inviting people as well as myself to narrow down that reason a little more I would say it is a way for me to show others how I see this strange and random world that we live in. We all view this world through very indervidual eyes and photography allows me to show people how I see it. Nothing more nothing less. Sometimes my images will have a story (I hope) and sometimes it will just be how I see an obejct, persons, creature or situation but in the end it is just my simple my simple personal view. My photo's may not be what most would call fantastic pictures (to them) but they are my little show to help others see how I see. I still have alot to learn in this little photographic adventure that we are all sharing and I will be learning till the day I finally put down my camera (may that day be a long long time away). I know that take alot of bad images that will fall short of the view I am wanting to show, but as long I am able to try I will keep learning and trying untill I am succsesful, even if it is just in my eyes and opinion.

So whats your story? Why do you do what you do in this photographic adventure of ours?

Well, actually when you think about it Photography is actually a fairly cheap hobby - Ok, sure, I've spent some money on a DSLR and a telephoto lens, some accessories, etc - but when you take and divide the amount of money I've spent total on the hobby by the number of hours of enjoyment I've gotten as a result of that investment, well there really aren't much in the way of cheaper hobbies out there to be honest with you. Sure the initial investment is a little higher than some, but when you consider how much use I get out of the equipment the amount of money I spend per hour on my hobby is ridiculously low - far lower than something like say, golf.

As for my story, well I recently had a bit of an epiphany myself that will probably illustrate how I feel about photography. My father passed away this saturday after a prolonged battle with cancer. I had taken part of the day off Monday to help my step-mom get some arrangements made and deal with some of the details. After I finished with that I was on my way home, I decided to grab my camera and head out to the safari park and take some pictures. As I was on my way into the house I got a call on the cell, it was a distant relative of the family that is notoriously difficult to deal with even under the best of circumstances. The conversation didn't go well, the family member in question was asking a lot of questions which were quite frankly inappropriate and mostly dealing with financial matters that frankly were none of their business. They kept insisting on asking about things that really were not appropriate at the time to discuss. After dealing with all that I was in a really foul mood. I grabbed my newly acquired D5100 and headed for the safari park.

On my way there I had a blowout. I pulled off to the side of the highway, got out and discovered that my brother had apparently borrowed the floor jack I keep in the trunk and had forgotten to return it. So I pulled out the cheap scissors jack that came with the car, only to discover that in addition to the floor jack apparently my brother had also borrowed the tire iron that goes with the jack - which also happens to be the piece you need to turn in order to get the jack to go up or down. A few choice words later (the kind I can't repeat in polite company), I dug out a pair of vice grips.

Quite some time later after a tremendous, indeed a ridiculous amount of physical effort I managed to get the tire changed. I almost turned around and headed for home. It was cold, I was splattered with mud, wet, tired, and basically feeling about as used up as I think I've ever felt in my life. But being a rather stubborn cuss I wasn't going to turn around. I was out here to get a photograph.. at least one, with the new camera. I wasn't going home without one. So I climbed back into the car, drove to the park.

I went to my favorite spot, found my subject, hefted the camera and fired. 1/500th of a second later, and everything was right with my world once again. I realized at that moment that the camera, at least for me - isn't about "expressing" myself. What it truly is for me is my connection with the natural world. In that briefest fraction of a second, I was connected again.

Last edited:
capturing images or memories in time is interesting and enjoyable for me

Because in photography, nudity is "art"!!

Just kidding. I'm with the no-profound-reason poster. To me, I guess it's about capturing a moment in time, then being able to look at it again in the future and remembering as much as you can about the when-what-why-and-how of that moment. Something like that, anyhoo.

I went to my favorite spot, found my subject, hefted the camera and fired. 1/500th of a second later, and everything was right with my world once again. I realized at that moment that the camera, at least for me - isn't about "expressing" myself. What it truly is for me is my connection with the natural world. In that briefest fraction of a second, I was connected again.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I also know what you mean about how the simple act of taking a picture can erase a whole lot of negative crap. I think it is almost like meditating. The mind is going in a million directions, but then suddenly, it's going in one direction: how do I get this shot? The hyperfocus on getting the picture makes everything else go away. And then if you actually get the shot, it's even better! :)

What makes us spend thousands of $ on equipment and even more time taking the actual photographs? If i had saved all the money and time that I have spent on photography it scares me what I could have done.
So why do I spend all this time and money on my photography? I think it is safe to say that for the majority it is a way to express themselfs creativly, and I am no different. But as I am inviting people as well as myself to narrow down that reason a little more I would say it is a way for me to show others how I see this strange and random world that we live in. We all view this world through very indervidual eyes and photography allows me to show people how I see it. Nothing more nothing less. Sometimes my images will have a story (I hope) and sometimes it will just be how I see an obejct, persons, creature or situation but in the end it is just my simple my simple personal view. My photo's may not be what most would call fantastic pictures (to them) but they are my little show to help others see how I see. I still have alot to learn in this little photographic adventure that we are all sharing and I will be learning till the day I finally put down my camera (may that day be a long long time away). I know that take alot of bad images that will fall short of the view I am wanting to show, but as long I am able to try I will keep learning and trying untill I am succsesful, even if it is just in my eyes and opinion.

So whats your story? Why do you do what you do in this photographic adventure of ours?

Well, actually when you think about it Photography is actually a fairly cheap hobby - Ok, sure, I've spent some money on a DSLR and a telephoto lens, some accessories, etc - but when you take and divide the amount of money I've spent total on the hobby by the number of hours of enjoyment I've gotten as a result of that investment, well there really aren't much in the way of cheaper hobbies out there to be honest with you. Sure the initial investment is a little higher than some, but when you consider how much use I get out of the equipment the amount of money I spend per hour on my hobby is ridiculously low - far lower than something like say, golf.

As for my story, well I recently had a bit of an epiphany myself that will probably illustrate how I feel about photography. My father passed away this saturday after a prolonged battle with cancer. I had taken part of the day off Monday to help my step-mom get some arrangements made and deal with some of the details. After I finished with that I was on my way home, I decided to grab my camera and head out to the safari park and take some pictures. As I was on my way into the house I got a call on the cell, it was a distant relative of the family that is notoriously difficult to deal with even under the best of circumstances. The conversation didn't go well, the family member in question was asking a lot of questions which were quite frankly inappropriate and mostly dealing with financial matters that frankly were none of their business. They kept insisting on asking about things that really were not appropriate at the time to discuss. After dealing with all that I was in a really foul mood. I grabbed my newly acquired D5100 and headed for the safari park.

On my way there I had a blowout. I pulled off to the side of the highway, got out and discovered that my brother had apparently borrowed the floor jack I keep in the trunk and had forgotten to return it. So I pulled out the cheap scissors jack that came with the car, only to discover that in addition to the floor jack apparently my brother had also borrowed the tire iron that goes with the jack - which also happens to be the piece you need to turn in order to get the jack to go up or down. A few choice words later (the kind I can't repeat in polite company), I dug out a pair of vice grips.

Quite some time later after a tremendous, indeed a ridiculous amount of physical effort I managed to get the tire changed. I almost turned around and headed for home. It was cold, I was splattered with mud, wet, tired, and basically feeling about as used up as I think I've ever felt in my life. But being a rather stubborn cuss I wasn't going to turn around. I was out here to get a photograph.. at least one, with the new camera. I wasn't going home without one. So I climbed back into the car, drove to the park.

Sorry for your loss, at least you were able to find peace (even if it was for a short while). Commiserations to you and your Family in this difficult time.

$1347.JPG I hope this explains things for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back