Why Photography?

I went to my favorite spot, found my subject, hefted the camera and fired. 1/500th of a second later, and everything was right with my world once again. I realized at that moment that the camera, at least for me - isn't about "expressing" myself. What it truly is for me is my connection with the natural world. In that briefest fraction of a second, I was connected again.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I also know what you mean about how the simple act of taking a picture can erase a whole lot of negative crap. I think it is almost like meditating. The mind is going in a million directions, but then suddenly, it's going in one direction: how do I get this shot? The hyperfocus on getting the picture makes everything else go away. And then if you actually get the shot, it's even better! :)

Thanks Limr. It was pretty amazing though, to realize no matter how bad my day got, no matter how bad I might feel all it took was on picture and suddenly all of the negative feelings were gone. I've tried a few hobbies over the years, but none has ever come anywhere close to being able to do that.

Sorry for your loss, at least you were able to find peace (even if it was for a short while). Commiserations to you and your Family in this difficult time.

Thanks GDH - if there was a "upside" it was that we had a lot of time to prepare for Dad's passing, he'd been fighting the good fight for several years and as a result it wasn't so much of a shock. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss my dad more than I think I can even comprehend at this point, but I know that he's no longer in pain and he's in a much better place now so as much as I will miss him I'm also happy for him.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back