Why Shoot B&W Images?

I shoot Ilford hp5 400 and delta 3200 black and white. In some images, color overwhelms the message. "Photo someone in color and you photo their clothes photo them in black and white and you photo their soul. It emphasizes the geometry in a shot. I have the option of b&w mf with lots of grain, 35 mm b&w with nice grain and medium contrast or color with gorgeous skin tones. For color I am usually using portra 400 with gorgeous skin tones and pastel color palette. I don't bother with slow b&w films with little to no grain. I can shoot digital like that.

I have my "street" bag cameras set for RAW+various recipe b&w jpgs--an approach that works with my trailing edge Fuji X-100T and Ricoh GR II. Several b&w plug-in options give me a huge range of choice in post for finished images--maybe too much! But then is there ever a "finished" image with digital?

View attachment 255057

Ricoh GR II

I love shooting film for street. This is an rb67 shot on ilford 3200 in the fog. I wanted the grain to compliment the softness of the fog on this street shot , Pier 60 is the end of Hwy 60 so this is street photo of a street. Flipped it horizontal to get the leading line from the lower L corner.

Attachments

• Pier in fog-1.jpg
    Pier in fog-1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 52
I love shooting film for street. This is an rb67 shot on ilford 3200 in the fog. I wanted the grain to compliment the softness of the fog on this street shot , Pier 60 is the end of Hwy 60 so this is street photo of a street. Flipped it horizontal to get the leading line from the lower L corner.
Yup. Pretty much "meh" in color. B&W? Not so much! No longer shoot much 35mm b&w but 120 TMY-2 in my Mamiyas and Bronica is catnip for me.

I dusted off my old Nikon N80 a month ago and shot a roll of T-Max 400 on it, it was fun.
nikon_n80_film5.jpg

Attachments

• nikon_n80_film3.jpg
    nikon_n80_film3.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 25
  • nikon_n80_film1.jpg
    nikon_n80_film1.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 29
  • nikon_n80_film7.jpg
    nikon_n80_film7.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 25
  • nikon_n80_film13.jpg
    nikon_n80_film13.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • nikon_n80_film15.jpg
    nikon_n80_film15.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 26
  • nikon_n80_film16.jpg
    nikon_n80_film16.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 30
I've been burning black & white film on the streets for decades. I never tire of it.

"Photography must contain one thing, the humanity of the moment."
-Robert Frank

Cigarette Break.jpg

Drinking Buddies.jpg

Foggy Morning Run.jpg

Helping Hand.jpg

In Thought.jpeg

Missing You.jpg

The Reader.jpeg

I shoot Ilford hp5 400 and delta 3200 black and white. In some images, color overwhelms the message. "Photo someone in color and you photo their clothes photo them in black and white and you photo their soul. It emphasizes the geometry in a shot. I have the option of b&w mf with lots of grain, 35 mm b&w with nice grain and medium contrast or color with gorgeous skin tones. For color I am usually using portra 400 with gorgeous skin tones and pastel color palette. I don't bother with slow b&w films with little to no grain. I can shoot digital like that.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!”

― Ted Grant

An excellent article for beginners who haven't yet learned to think for themselves.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back