Why So Many English Photogs?

Nightsblood said:
I need a plane ticket to see this for myself!

You need the ticket at last and so do all the others who plan to come --- not to Britain but to GERMANY (Land of Leica) for the meet-up next year in May!

All those who plan to come from afar should go inquire about flight fares now! ;)

And then I show you the fields RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DOOR (almost).

(Sorry, bit of advertising "my own case" here, it derails the thread but I need to seize ANY opportunity now to sharpen people's awareness that NOW May 2008 is no longer as "far in the future" as it still was a year ago!!!!)

Hey, Im from usa

All your photography are belong to us.

:lmao:

Now, before everyone goes nuts with this, let me set the record. Im American but do have an English lineage from both parents and am very proud to be such, so Im not talking down or stereotyping....so...please refrain from the us against them tact.

But, I notice the majority of the online reviews, stories and almost all of the periodical publications in the stores here in America are English made. From that I mean, England, Great Britain areas.

Why is this? Is photography that popular there? Seems odd to me but, dont get me wrong, they are some great publications.

Cheers. (just had to add that)

Shucks, this here question is an easy one to answer. It's the only thing most of the population in Great Britain can go out and shoot with.

They don't know the joy of getting up at 4:00a.m. dressing from head to toe in camouflage clothing, spraying your boots and cloths with dear urine and trucking out into the woods when it is 15 degrees outside to your favorite place to hunker down with the hopes of bagging a big ol'e buck. Every hunter knows that it is the perfect time of day. The sun is just coming up, your breath in making steam in the crisp, clean air of early morning. The forest begins to come alive with the sounds of the animals getting up from their bedding grounds and moving to feed and seek water.

And then in a clearing, maybe 75 yards away, from out of the brush come a 10 point buck with a rack that will score at least 250. You slowly raise your rifle, drawing a bead through a telescopic sight that would rival Canon's best L glass, wait for that perfect moment, draw in a breath and slowly let half out and ever so gently squeeze the trigger. The roar of a 308 fills the woods and if you made a good shot, not far from where the buck was standing you see that magnificent beast lying on the ground and you know that that baby is on the wall and there will be venison steaks in a few weeks for dinner.

Of course we don't know what it's like to have a cop on foot patrol in our neighborhoods with out a firearm on his/her hip either so I guess there is a bit of a trade off.:D

Of course we don't know what it's like to have a cop on foot patrol in our neighborhoods

Neither do we. You are more likely to be abducted by aliens than see a cop on the beat these days (and just to put you Muricans straight - British police last went around on bicycles in the 1960's) :lmao:

Neither do we. You are more likely to be abducted by aliens than see a cop on the beat these days (and just to put you Muricans straight - British police last went around on bicycles in the 1960's) :lmao:

Hertz, Hertz, Hertz................... You have crushed, stomped, killed, yes even destroyed :gun::playball::spank: my memories of England. :stun: Ok, it was from 1960-1961. Now it is just a faded memory lingering in the back of my mind, like a photo left to long in the sun; like a shirt dropped into a washer full of bleach. :cry:

Next thing you will tell me is that no one eats Bangers and Mash anymore, that the Austin FX4 is no longer used as a Black Cab and that the [SIZE=-1]Piccadilly Circus is a calm and quiet place these days[/SIZE]. I am more dejected learning this than when I found out that there was no Santa Clause. As much as I like to kid the Britts a bit, England was my favorite place to be when we were living in Germany.

Well you will have to excuse me now, I am going to go out and look for a flying saucer. :alien:

Whilst I think this is an oddly funny remark ... I still don't get it... :(

well, processes photographic chemistry are wet chemistry.

England = wet weather
Texas = dry weather .. letting Texas represent the whole of the US of A .. I know people will beat me for it ;)

well, processes photographic chemistry are wet chemistry.

England = wet weather
Texas = dry weather .. letting Texas represent the whole of the US of A .. I know people will beat me for it ;)

Aaahhh ... got it ... so in the United Kingdom Englanders stand out in the rain when processing their film. In Texas, one can only prosess seasonally, when it floods.

Gary

Aaahhh ... got it ... so in the United Kingdom Englanders stand out in the rain when processing their film. In Texas, one can only prosess seasonally, when it floods.

Gary

Now you know why Huricane season and Vaction season are at the same time in Texas.:lmao:

Ha, Andy, just wait until the Germans get all their texts TRANSLATED (I will start NOW :biggrin: )!!!

Ja, wirklich! and some of the words may be twice as long although they replace phrases. Some neat words too, like die Lichtbildkunst.

skieur

Is the question why are most English photography articles from outside America (GB based) or is it a broader why are most articles made in english?

In either case, I would have to say that your souces that you are looking at are skewed to your preferences. In fact, I would dare to say that there are just as many articles in Japanses as there are in the entire English language, location independant.

I doubt you would be able to quantify that, becuase you do not specifically search for Japanese photography articles.

I never realized how many French photography magazines/articles there were in Quebec Canada and France until I looked... I dare say the individual numbers are not all much lower than what one would expect we have available in English and the geography/numbers of that language truly does limit it's audience.

I believe it is a lot more about perspective than actual true numbers.

Now, before everyone goes nuts with this, let me set the record. Im American but do have an English lineage from both parents and am very proud to be such, so Im not talking down or stereotyping....so...please refrain from the us against them tact.

But, I notice the majority of the online reviews, stories and almost all of the periodical publications in the stores here in America are English made. From that I mean, England, Great Britain areas.

Why is this? Is photography that popular there? Seems odd to me but, dont get me wrong, they are some great publications.

Cheers. (just had to add that)

Well, in my opinion the British mags are just so much better made, putt together and written then American ones that it's obvious you can by them in the States. We have some of the American mags here in Irish newsagents too, but they just can't be compared for the size alone, and the black and white pages in them are just weird. Well, no offense, that's just my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back