Why some people struggle with camera gear choices...

PeterToronto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Greetings guys

I empathize with all of those people who struggle with purchasing camera gear. It really can be quite a daunting process. Given the sometimes overwhelming number of choices involved in acquiring gear, it's no wonder that many of the people who post on forums are genuinely torn and/or confused.

I wrote an article on this topic earlier on this week, based on a book that I recently read called The Paradox of Choice. If this sounds even remotely interesting, check it out...

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Peter Anthony Photography Blog - THE PARADOX OFCHOICE

The general premise extends well beyond photographic equipment, to almost all consumer products, so it may have value for everyone. I found the book to be a worthwhile read.

At the least, it will make for an interesting discussion.

Peace
Peter

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Home

I think today there are too many places to get (mis) information and that stresses out people when it comes to buying a product. Since we are on a camera forum - too many opinions on what's the best gear; it really doesn't matter in the hands of a good photographer. A beginner's kit is just that - for beginners. Generally, a beginner takes lousy photos, they need to learn how to use their equipment and why something came out the way it did. Better glass may help but it may not, and it doesn't matter what brand you're getting. I stressed a little about kit lenses - they're great for me but for a more advanced person maybe they're crap.

I own a hot tub and I go to that forum and the arguments there about the best is the same as over here.

You're right it doesn't matter the subject people just stress because they think they may be missing something.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it is mostly beginners that have trouble deciding on what to buy...

Once you get some experience under your belt, you don't have to ask what to buy next - you just know.

The "what to buy" threads are mostly a result of people not knowing what they want/need.

Once you know what you're looking for, you can do your own research and make up your own mind.

I own a hot tub and I go to that forum and the arguments there about the best is the same as over here.

You're right it doesn't matter the subject people just stress because they think they may be missing something.

It's like that on any forum.... I'm on an R/C Helicopter forum, and the constant questions.... Which heli, motor, radio, gyro, servos, etc, etc....

And a lot of people do stress, but they worry more about buying junk and then having to re-buy, which I guess isn't such a bad thing. I have seen too many people show up at the field with a $1000 heli and then they slapped $25 servos in it.

And now I'm in the same newbie boat in another hobby... I've been shooting rifle & pistol most of my life, and never had any interest in shotguns whatsoever. The only shotgun I own is a Mossberg 500 Mariner, which is for two-legged assholes instead of four legged animals. A friend has recently introduced me to trap shooting, so I am now in the market for a nice O/U trap gun.... what do I buy that's going to give me a good service life, natural to shoot, and won't break the bank? Believe it or not, there are hand-crafted shotguns out there that put the price of medium format digital to shame. :confused: I think I'll stick with Mossberg, or maybe Remington, or ....

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think it is mostly beginners that have trouble deciding on what to buy...

Once you get some experience under your belt, you don't have to ask what to buy next - you just know.

The "what to buy" threads are mostly a result of people not knowing what they want/need.

Once you know what you're looking for, you can do your own research and make up your own mind.
Im kind of like that now, im starting to know what to get next, my only draw back is.. Is *THIS* really worth the extra $500? Cuz man its expensive gear! lol

It's like that on any forum.... I'm on an R/C Helicopter forum, and the constant questions.... Which heli, motor, radio, gyro, servos, etc, etc....

And a lot of people do stress, but they worry more about buying junk and then having to re-buy, which I guess isn't such a bad thing. I have seen too many people show up at the field with a $1000 heli and then they slapped $25 servos in it.

And now I'm in the same newbie boat in another hobby... I've been shooting rifle & pistol most of my life, and never had any interest in shotguns whatsoever. The only shotgun I own is a Mossberg 500 Mariner, which is for two-legged assholes instead of four legged animals. A friend has recently introduced me to trap shooting, so I am now in the market for a nice O/U trap gun.... what do I buy that's going to give me a good service life, natural to shoot, and won't break the bank? Believe it or not, there are hand-crafted shotguns out there that put the price of medium format digital to shame. :confused: I think I'll stick with Mossberg, or maybe Remington, or ....

I've always been partial to Belgium Brownings myself. Not too expensive but very well crafted.

Thing is, go for any of the major makers mid to top end product and it should be good gear, my choice is Nikon, simply for how it feels in my hands, the canon opposite didn't feel as "natural", images from both cameras are of the same quality so nothing new there, but it has to be canon or nikon, other marques just don't offer the same standards in support or glass availability to be considered, especially cheaper used deals. Regardless of all else I'm a committed Nikon man now as have invested too much in the hardware. H

Most reactions

Back