Why spend money when you can make it at home??

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went on a tin foil spree today. I made a home made reflector, test shots below:

Without reflector:
DSC_0116-1.jpg

White reflector:
DSC_0118-1.jpg

Tin Foil Reflector:
DSC_0117-2.jpg

And then that wasn't enough, so I made a home made beauty dish out of 2 tupperware bowls, 4 straws, and tin foil. Here is the dish:

DSC_0130-1.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

And the test shots: (I know the cat hair on the shirt is distracting and the background needs more light, was more going for the lighting on the face and the catchlights in the eyes. Will play with the rest later)

DSC_0124-2.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

pretty creative

I thought this was one of those bot threads like the spam I get in email occasionally. "Make money from home" kind of deal. Good test shots.

I have done the same thing myself. It can work great but I defiantly prefer the real thing. Holds up and folds up much better lol. But yeah, well worth doing if you need one in a pinch or a real large one that you may only use one time.

Last edited:
These are more or less just for use in my studio at home until I can save up for some real equipment, but if they get the job done, nothing wrong with that for now!

Please tell me his shirt says 'Lock up your daughters"

Good on ya. You can clearly see with the monkey examples how a reflector benefits the opposite side of the main light. (You just need to make adjustments to it). This is a very cheap and effective tool to have for in-home use.

With the beauty dish, it appears that the flash is mounted on camera because the catch lights are still kinda-sorta in the middle of the pupil. With the D80 and SB600, use the CLS to your advantage and get it off camera. Even though the pre-flash does not contribute to the scene, you will find that it does have an effect on reflective objects, such as puplis. I have fashioned tin foil (since you're on a mission with it) to fit over the built-in flash (which triggers the off camera flash) so that it activates the flash unit but is non-descript to my subject. Hell, I've even had it to trigger a flash that was a few feet behind me. Here is an example....

DSC_0978_web-1.jpg

When I posted this shot before someone mentioned they have sweaty palms and were afraid the flash would slip out of their hands. Well then, another home remedy....​

Plan-B.jpg

Creativity knows no boundaries.​

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE it.

Ridiculous.
A Tupperware bowl with a hole cut in it with a flash stuck in the hole, and tin foil flapping around all over the place.
Are those sippy straws being used to reinforce the concoction?
Put your hands up and step away from the camera.

Why not BUY the proper equipment??????????

Ridiculous.
A Tupperware bowl with a hole cut in it with a flash stuck in the hole, and tin foil flapping around all over the place.
Are those sippy straws being used to reinforce the concoction?
Put your hands up and step away from the camera.

Why not BUY the proper equipment??????????

At least she takes good shots with her homemade equipment. Some people can't take good shots with the official equipment they got.

I dig the ingenuity, but I don't think I'd ever pull that outside of my house hah.

Most reactions

Back