Why we need to use proper language and spelling

So.... you want the mods to ban users with bad grammer?

No, no, no! I never meant that this site should ban them (actually I don't think there is a forum that would ban any of its members due to their illiteracy) It's just that this Daremo guy put a very good reasoning and I didn't want to cut his post. Maybe I should have cut that last sentence!

What I thought when I posted this was that I would like to see the forum moderators support the use of proper language, not set it as a rule. But then again, moderators were quite forgiving (except @terri) for someone's advertising of illegal behaviour. I guess all in the same name of freedom and tolerance.

Whatever.

And chiller, I never had any problems with understanding your posts. Slang is one thing because it's part of the living language. Not using punctuation marks or any capital letters for example is another. It's just confusing.

Many visual artists struggle with verbal language, and it would be silly to disregard their contributions because of any such failing.

To be honest, I would have a very hard time considering someone as an artist when he hasn't the minimum respect towards me and the rest of the people he's addressing by at least trying to comply with some basic writing rules we're all familiar with. You know, to put a full-stop at the end of a sentence, start a new one with a capital letter etc

Those people, they know about those things, it's just that they are too lazy and disregardful to apply them. Maybe because it's so hard to eat an apple and type a capital letter holding shift at the same time. Mostly because they think it's soooo cool.

I guess that ultimately it is up to the individual to decide whether what is in front of them is gratuitous obfuscation, laziness, valid personal expression or genuine inability, and then to respond in the way they believe to be appropriate.

Sometimes it is difficult for the able to comprehend the nature of inability.

Best,
Helen

PS For future reference "Now, it's time for the forum's giants to let us no what they think about it." is correctly spelled, and has correctly used apostrophes, but it should end ... let us know what they think .... Everyone knew what you meant, of course.

Last edited:
PS For future reference "Now, it's time for the forum's giants to let us no what they think about it." is correctly spelled, and has correctly used apostrophes, but it should end ... let us know what they think .... Everyone knew what you meant, of course.

I never said I never make mistakes, especially the ones that are when typing in a hurry. But at least I try!
I'm not trying here to prove that I'm better for my "writing skills", I just wanted to post my views and see other members' views (like yours) and the forum's policy about it. But as it seems, with a few exceptions, nobody really cares about it.

Rsrch hs shwn that t s pssbl t rd a wrttn pssg whr thr r n vwls whtsvr n th txt wth th xcptn f "I" nd th rtcl "a"
S wht d y thnk f tht??
Jd

Unfortunately this comes from the age of text messaging.

What really gets me is hearing the stories of high school (and some college) students turning in papers using that crap.

what is far worse is that there was a head teacher of a school who actually was encouraging this - calling it something like "an exciting evolution of the English language" :(

As a teacher, I see the most butchered attempts at the english language, and an even worse attempt at spelling it. One thing that has contributed greatly to kids having no idea how to structure a proper sentence, or punctuate correctly, is Microsoft Word. It corrects simple punctuation mistakes and spelling. I see the same mistakes year-after-year. Arrrrggghhh! (<------ I hope that is spelled correctly) As an advertising professional, correct spelling and grammar is essential. I can't believe how much my juniors, yes, kids in 11th grade, do not know how to spell. Utterly disgusting; you can thank "no child left behind" for that crap.
I detest Microsoft and no-child-left-behind laws.

Yes word and iSpell do help a heck of a lot with spelling - in word you can even set your own common misspellings to auto correct so there is even less spelling problems (and oneday voice control will be standard issue with comptuers)

Rsrch hs shwn that t s pssbl t rd a wrttn pssg whr thr r n vwls whtsvr n th txt wth th xcptn f "I" nd th rtcl "a"
S wht d y thnk f tht??
Jd

O tihnk I pfreer the one wichh syas taht you don't need to put the ltteres in the rghit odrer eepxct for the fsirt and lsat ltetres

I have to say I agree with you sunlioness, recently I was called a "grammar flame" for pointing out an obvious obliteration of the English language posted on this forum. Not only was the person that called me that name a newbie with 6 posts, but I have to say a few things ran through my mind at this point.
1) My take on the poster that made the first error is they must not be too educated, or they are a kid that "knows everything"
2) The newbie that called me the "grammar flame" is another kid defending the illiteracy of a fellow ignorant kid
3) Do I want to frequent a photography site that is that illiterate and is filled with kids that "hang out" here? (I appreciate a site that has intelligent people helping others with the same interests so we can all learn and share).
4) I typed out a message to reply to the name calling but decided not to post it because if the illiteracy is acceptable in the eyes of the poster and the defender, they wouldn't understand my point.

Thank you for starting this thread. It's nice to see that someone else feels the same as I do as far as trying to look semi intelligent when posting anything on this forum (not exclusively here). Too many people accept the ignorance and call it cool. I just don't get it.

Any American who posts on here promoting the correct use of English grammar is running the risk of being branded a hypocrite.
You should more accurately say American English.
Most Americans are illiterate by the standards of the English language. :mrgreen:

Any American who posts on here promoting the correct use of English grammar is running the risk of being branded a hypocrite.
Most Americans are illiterate by the standards of the English language. :mrgreen:

Ok, good point, I apologize and stand corrected, I didn't have intention of offending anyone.
Is it safer to say: Proper English and American English....Both still recognized, accepted, has standards, and getting even close to either is acceptable (for the sake of this discussion). The many abortions of the languages that are now accepted and considered "cool" is getting way too out of hand though.
You make my point exactly. If people using proper American English are illiterate to you, then what are our illiterate considered? lol

Many English nationals appear to be illiterate by the standards of the English language as well, though it doesn't seem to matter much. Comparing New England and England, I'd say that many people here in New England make more of an effort to use good English than they do back home.

Best,
Helen

What aboot Canadian English eh? Them ya'alls soot of the bodah,think we say aboot, but we actually say about. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I didn't have intention of offending anyone.

Who said I was offended?
I was merely making the point that one person's 'good English' is another person's 'questionable' English.
The true state of affairs is that few people on either side of the pond write (let alone speak) what can only be called The Queen's English. Most people speak in the vernacular or in dialect.
This is perfectly acceptable.
It only becomes a problem in business if one is too familiar or one shows a lack of respect.
But if one is too punctilious one runs the risk (in Great Britain at any rate) of being misunderstood - or even of taking the piss.
Just remember that the Boston Tea Party only really happened because you say 'potato' whereas we say 'potato'.

I tend to mumble because I usually have my tongue firmly in my cheek ;)

If we write gooder, and make ourselves more understanded, we will use many words. Many, many words.

Most reactions

Back