Why We Switched to Nikon

JTPhotography said:
Going back to the original article, check out how she is holding the camera in that very first pic when shooting the pregnant girl in the blue dress.

Yeah, well...so she's not using the traditional left-hand-under-lens-as-support method...but it does look like she has the eyepiece's rubber bumper jammed pretty hard against her eye orbit, and her nose is mashed into the LCD pretty firmly, so the camera's probably got decent stability...and the lens appears to be a short, fast L-prime (50/1.2 I think?)...as long as she's using a good SAFE shutter speed, her images probably came out fine. 2014-Behind-The-Scenes-050.jpg I dunno...autofocusing lenses have made such handholding technique possible...and hell...if she's shooting at a speed like 1/800 she could one-hand it while eating a sammich and probably get away with it...I'm not quite ready to crucify her over how she holds a 50 on a preggo belly shot...I admit, the South Korean judge and the Canadian judge might knock her score down to an 8.7 for the compulsory portion of their scoring, but they marked her up in the artistic expression portion...

JTPhotography said:
Going back to the original article, check out how she is holding the camera in that very first pic when shooting the pregnant girl in the blue dress.

Yeah, well...so she's not using the traditional left-hand-under-lens-as-support method...but it does look like she has the eyepiece's rubber bumper jammed pretty hard against her eye orbit, and her nose is mashed into the LCD pretty firmly, so the camera's probably got decent stability...and the lens appears to be a short, fast L-prime (50/1.2 I think?)...as long as she's using a good SAFE shutter speed, her images probably came out fine. 2014-Behind-The-Scenes-050.jpg I dunno...autofocusing lenses have made such handholding technique possible...and hell...if she's shooting at a speed like 1/800 she could one-hand it while eating a sammich and probably get away with it...I'm not quite ready to crucify her over how she holds a 50 on a preggo belly shot...I admit, the South Korean judge and the Canadian judge might knock her score down to an 8.7 for the compulsory portion of their scoring, but they marked her up in the artistic expression portion...

Agreed. I hold my camera like that all the time when I have small lenses on it. It actually increases your radius of movement so its faster to fine tune your composition.. Like increasing the sensitivity on a joystick in a video game... sure there's less stability... but that is coupled with faster movement.

It's a constant battle. Just wait 6 months and people will be talking about switching to Canon when the 5DMK4 comes out. Then wait another 6 months when Nikon comes out with D6 and everyone will be switching to Nikon again. It's a cycle. That is why it's not the camera but the photographer that makes the difference.

JTPhotography said:

Oh great now I'm imagining her trying to eat a sandwich while having her eye mashed into the eyepiece with her nose mashed against the lcd. That's talent for sure!

Most reactions

Back