Why/What/How did you name your photography services/business/website?

When choosing a domain its key to make it the following
-short, under 8-10 characters
-it explains the purpose of the site
-it has key words. so its SEO (search engine optimized)
-its individual,
-easy to remember

So keep this points in mind, its quite helpful. Its how i chose my domain for my photo-blog/galleries, www.OpticalIdea.com

After years in business, I'm just putting together my first website. given that up until now, all of my work has come through referals I have used my name to continue that trend....

www.nicholasjamesphotography.co.uk

Once I have written all the input into the site I will let you know how it goes. At the moment it is just a matter of getting around to the building of the site and what is up is rubbish, so obviously not advertising the address yet.

It is all a bit of a minefield to me but am convinced that my name is the business

The actual name is <firstname> <lastname> Studios, because I do more than photography (my primary source of income at the moment is web design, typesetting and editing), but to shorted, I registered just <lastname>studios.com as the website.

Yup, I went with my name as well. Well, my last name actually. My business name, technically, is just "Petruzzo", after which I tack more specific business details. I did it so that I wouldn't be pigeon-holed into a single industry. Without too much legal mumbo jumbo I can do almost anything I want under my name.

Also, I left my first name out of it to make it easier to pass on to subsequent members of my family, should they one day want to take over.

I write this because the notion that one should keep it simple and not try to get fancy is the easy way to do things. Yes, it's safe...but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking the time to consider something more. If you can't come up with anything fancy yet simple and appropriate, then so be it...but if you ask me, don't hesitate to keep on brainstorming for a bit before settling on the standard.

Crimson Fox Photography, my business name, follows that same first name-last name vibe yet has a uniqueness that sticks with people. On event shoots when I hand out my card, most people admire the work that I do before they see a single photograph and then assume that the company's bigger than just me alone. They are pleasantly impressed when they discover that I'm the complete one-man show. I came up with my name since my photography is influenced by my love of movies, as well as Japanese folklore and various mythologies. My customers don't have to know the ins and outs of the story of Crimson Fox, but many people are intrigued and ask.

I agree that you are your business but not every customer thinks that way when they're in the process of picking up the phone and there are plenty of successful photography businesses that don't follow that standard...mine, for instance, continues to grow. I have aspirations of growing the business well beyond any singularity (i.e., I someday won't be on every single photoshoot that my business is attached to). Fred Marcus Photography in New York City, for instance...Fred Marcus is dead, so his personality has little to do with the continued success of that business, it's the style, business, and personality of the photographers that have been left behind and how they continue to run the business.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back