Why when i use Aperture Priority my fotos get dark?

nik555

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use nikon d50 with 18-55mm lense.
when i use portrait mode the pictures turn out to be ok, then i switch to A mode, put it on f3.5 take a picture with flash, but even with flash the portrait turn out to be dark? what my be the reason for that??

Do you have an example of such a picture, would be very helpfull to see one ( straight from the camera ) both so we can see the problem and take a look at the EXIF

I'm betting your ISO is set too low. When you go to portrait mode it is probably selecting the correct ISO but you have to set it yourself in A.

That's only a guess though - you'll need to provide more details.

My guess is that you have exposure compensation set to underexpose.

Exposure compensation probably doesn't work in portrait mode, which would be why they look fine.

My guess is that you have exposure compensation set to underexpose.

Exposure compensation probably doesn't work in portrait mode, which would be why they look fine.

I would go with that. I know I have done that before, I shoot and then look and I'm like crap I had the exposure comp way down.

Yeah I am seeing as being either the ISO or the Exposure Comp. When you go to the manual or control modes you will need to adjust your camera for the conditions. ANd for reference the D50 will shoot fine up to ISO 800. I know mine did.

Are you using the pop up flash on the camera or some other? We need a little more information like which flash, how far away is the flash from the subject, subject from the camera (this isn't as important but helpful).

What are you metering off? Your subject or the object behind the subject?

Most reactions

Back