why wont my pictures focus?

I'll put in my two cents like everyone else and lets see if you come out with a dollar.

I think the reason is, you were using a large F stop (lower number), like f3.6 or something To get a faster shutter speed for less shake.. So it made the DOF close. So if you use a smaller F stop (larger number) you'll come out with more things in focus. Because you will be using a Smaller F stop, you'll be letting in less light. Needing a tripod, or a mini pod. Or find a rock, or something to brace your camera.

F11, or f16 lets less light in. Upping the DOF, so things will be shaper. A large f stop (smaller number) when focusing on something, will throw everything not in the focus point out of focus. So using a larger F stop can be good for picturing people, or
being creative with the focus. But if you want thing in the background in focus You want small F stop (larger number)

thanks mr joe , that helps

thanks reg :D but do they make tripods that are say, 2 feet tall? the flower is somewhat low to the ground on a fence and ive seen 3 inch tripods up to like 5 feet tripods but never around 2 feet

When the legs/head are not extended, my tripod is about 2 ft tall, if that. But they do make mini/table top or compact/travel tripods which are even smaller.
This one for example, when not extended is only about a foot tall: http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Tour...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215078273&sr=8-4

And here's a table top style one: http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-VS-8...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215078695&sr=8-5

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The closer you focus on a subject the smaller the depth of field becomes and thus you need to use the smallest aperture available in order to maximise depth of field. True macro lenses will shut down to f32 typically.
You'll never get the whole subject in focus; this is a function of macro/close up lenses-unless your subject is as close to two-dimensional (flat) as possible, e.g a butterfly resting with wings open or a leaf.
A tripod is essential for macro/close up work where small apertures/long exposure times are typical.

Also bear in mind that because you have a P&S camera, the aperture f/2.8 on your camera is actually the equivalent of about f/8 on a DSLR. So in that regard, you're actually pretty lucky in having a high-zoom camera.

Anywho, here are some steps to get a good macro shot:

Bring the flower inside (or leave it if there isn't much wind)
Set the camera to the "super macro" mode.
Mount the camera on a tripod. Most "regular" tripods can extend up to about 1.5m and down to about 50cm. Make sure all the screws are tightened up and the camera is sturdy.
Set the camera on a 2-second timer. This will help eliminate all camera shake from you pressing down on the shutter button.
If you can, manually set the aperture to about f/12 (f/13.5 will make the image quality degrade a bit)
Shoot, wait and pray... :D

Most reactions

Back