Why would you buy

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at either a Sigma 100-400 or Tamron 100-400. Which would you buy and why? It will be used on a Canon SL-1. It will be used mostly for birding and wildlife.

Change to MF3 and your 300mm becomes 600mm due to the x2 crop at about one-third of the weight.....

I would choose the Tamron because it's not a Sigma.

Tamron Because from i read faster focus tracking then the sigma and the optional tripod collar mount so you have the option to mount on a tripod.

I was leaning towards the Tamron because reviews of the focus and it's just slightly better aperture. Seems they are close in image quality. Have considered a used Canon 100-400 mk1 but I'm not sure how well I'd adapt to the push/pull on it.

Tamron, only because it has the option for a tripod mount.
To me, a LONG lens without a tripod mount, or at least the option for a tripod mount does not make sense. There have been MANY times where I put my long lens on a monopod (just to hold up the camera+lens for long periods of time) or a tripod (for LONG exposures).

But the prices of the 100-400 approaches the price of a 150-600, especially the Tamron+tripod mount, so you might consider if you want that extra reach of the 150-600. But at the cost of more size and weight.

Does anyone have lenses that zoom in different directions? How hard was it for you to get used to it?

Does anyone have lenses that zoom in different directions? How hard was it for you to get used to it?

Yes.
It depends on what you are doing.
  • For sports, action and fast moving stuff, different direction zoom rings are a PiA, causing missed shots. I want my sports/action lenses to zoom in the SAME direction, so muscle memory works, without me having to think which way to turn the zoom ring. When I shoot football, my hand turns the zoom ring without me thinking of which way to turn it.
  • For casual photography, it does not matter. I just turn the zoom ring in the other direction.
It was worse in the old days, as the focus ring could also be reversed :(

I think you can get used to it. In most cases, you're not zooming constantly, but rather set your zoom length, and take several shots before needing to zoom again. Always err on the side of "shooting wide" as opposed to shooting too tightly. If you already have a zoom lens, go out shooting, and pay attention to how often you find yourself zooming for the next shot. My guess is; not very often.

I was leaning towards the Tamron because reviews of the focus and it's just slightly better aperture. Seems they are close in image quality. Have considered a used Canon 100-400 mk1 but I'm not sure how well I'd adapt to the push/pull on it.

The push/pull is a bridge from MF to AF.
Some of the MF lenses had a single ring which pushed/pulled to zoom and rotated to focus. This was great for sport, action or anything fast moving. And once you got used to a 1-ring zoom, you did not want to go back to a 2-ring zoom, I didn't.
A GOOD push/pull zoom is easy to use. If the grease on the old lens has dried and thickened, it becomes harder to push/pull and less fun to use. This is where you have to physically try the lens on your camera, to see how the zoom feels.

Tamron, only because it has the option for a tripod mount.
To me, a LONG lens without a tripod mount, or at least the option for a tripod mount does not make sense. There have been MANY times where I put my long lens on a monopod (just to hold up the camera+lens for long periods of time) or a tripod (for LONG exposures).
I agree and think sigma dropped the ball not having the option for a tripod collar and granted its not a heavy lens and i am pretty sure the OS is good but not everyone wants or should be forced to hand hold something all the time when shooting.

Tamron because I had that Sigma and it couldn't get it to nail focus. It was so far off and sent it in twice, spent hours with it on the doc, and in the end I darn near threw it against the wall. Almost made me quit photography. Yes, it was that frustrating. I switched camera systems and haven't looked back. That brand has left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know, it seems to me that a lot of people have had the issues I had, so that must mean something.

Last edited:
I love my Sigma lenses. And they have continued to outperform my brothers Tameron lenses.

To each his own....

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I have a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 that I use with my D7500. It zooms in the opposite direction from all my other zooms. It is a slight PIA.

Most reactions

Back