Why you should always have a Camera

DarkShadow

Birdographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was taking the wife's car in for an oil change this morning and I always go to a place that's one town over from me. I was coming off a short highway trip exit and I see a gorgeous Falcon just landing on the most perfect tree. I slowed down and pulled over in a safe area and couldn't do nothing more there stare at it. The pose of the bird was fantastic and the lighting on the bird couldn't have been any better. If I only had my Camera I may have had my first Falcon shot. Funny thing is, I visualized about a perfect raptor shot like this with out the heavy foliage with the most perfect lighting and here it was. I missed a wonderful opportunity and been beating my self up over it for hours.

I rarely bring my camera with me unless I'm headed to an event, whether family, sporting, etc., I sometimes wonder if I'll ever regret it. Perhaps I need to start. Sorry friend. :-/

I usually bring mine along just in case the world decides to end that day then I can use the wifi to show it off to all you fine folks.

Experience tells me that if you'd HAD the camera with you, you would never have seen that Falcon. :)
Personally, I always think it's God's little way of saying, "Relax. ENJOY the moment--you are SEEING this. Not everything needs to be viewed from behind the camera."

That said, I still almost always have my camera with me. :D But lately, I've been leaving it at home, because until the ribs heal, it kinda hurts to carry the bag from the car to the office. So, of course, I've had TWO really close encounters with hawks at the side of the road.

I was taking the wife's car in for an oil change this morning and I always go to a place that's one town over from me. I was coming off a short highway trip exit and I see a gorgeous Falcon just landing on the most perfect tree. I slowed down and pulled over in a safe area and couldn't do nothing more there stare at it. The pose of the bird was fantastic and the lighting on the bird couldn't have been any better. If I only had my Camera I may have had my first Falcon shot. Funny thing is, I visualized about a perfect raptor shot like this with out the heavy foliage with the most perfect lighting and here it was. I missed a wonderful opportunity and been beating my self up over it for hours.

Wow.. almost the exact same thing happened to me - well, I was on my way to work so it wasn't an oil change, and it was a whino instead of a falcon, and a park bench rather than a tree - but other than that it was pretty much the exact same situation you found yourself in - lol

I don't always carry mine but it's more of a habit than not carrying it. I may go days without using it, even though I am carrying it.

This is starting to sound kinda of like a 'Most Interesting Man in the World' thing.

$43499242.jpg

I am speaking for myself obviously.

Ohhhh, dangit! Yeah, I had an instance like that 25 years ago where if I would have had a camera I could have photographed a very rare and most-unusual fish behavior of a spring chinook salmon repeatedly surfacing and eating egg-laying March Brown insects for over a half an hour, bug after bug. taking them about 3 to 4 inches above the surface. I was maybe 35 miles from my camera, and the behavior so unheard of and rare (I have never heard of this from any biologist or angler) that to this day I still kick myself for not having taken my FE-2 fishing with me.

That really stinks!!! I hope you get your shot soon.

Reminds me of a few weeks ago I was driving down the mountain and the sky was sooo neat looking. It had a real "doomsday movie" feel to it and all I had was my phone which ruined the whole shot.

Experience tells me that if you'd HAD the camera with you, you would never have seen that Falcon. :)
Personally, I always think it's God's little way of saying, "Relax. ENJOY the moment--you are SEEING this. Not everything needs to be viewed from behind the camera."

That said, I still almost always have my camera with me. :D But lately, I've been leaving it at home, because until the ribs heal, it kinda hurts to carry the bag from the car to the office. So, of course, I've had TWO really close encounters with hawks at the side of the road.

I see more because I have a camera with me.

Ohhhh, dangit! Yeah, I had an instance like that 25 years ago where if I would have had a camera I could have photographed a very rare and most-unusual fish behavior of a spring chinook salmon repeatedly surfacing and eating egg-laying March Brown insects for over a half an hour, bug after bug. taking them about 3 to 4 inches above the surface. I was maybe 35 miles from my camera, and the behavior so unheard of and rare (I have never heard of this from any biologist or angler) that to this day I still kick myself for not having taken my FE-2 fishing with me.

Now I don't feel so bad, that sounds like a once in a lifetime shot or at least so rare the odds of you seeing it again would probably be slim to none but you never no.

Well the whino woke up, shot me a dirty look, scratched himself and then went back to sleep. So ya, I know exactly how you feel for missing that shot..

Ok, no, not really, can't really back that one up.. lol

I'm getting bored of shots like that a member in our club is mad on shooting natural history the judges love it but i'm starting to hate it ( just another bird on a stick)

Most reactions

Back