Why you should be a street photographer

I always worry about shooting people on the street. Actually, the way people are anymore, I worry about buildings, boats, and random trees too. Always concerned that someone is going to be offended or angry. I've had people question what I was doing before, ask who I'm "working for"...

When you go to shoot with that kind of thought process people can and will pick up on it. If you're out of your comfort zone people notice. Start small go to a park just take pictures of objects while people are there. It's all about confidence. I was the same way, though totally different ecosystem, when I first got my ems license. I was more worried about what to do and if it was going to be the right intervention that I could tell it didn't make my patient very comfortable. If you aren't confident in your skills you won't get near the results you're after. Someone will always be negative in life that's just the rule. You just gotta be able to keep calm and collected. If you feel unsure move on. Most people don't mind. We get amateur and pro photographers on our scene all the time. We don't mind it since they keep to themselves. If it's a bad scene we will ask them to politely move on. It's when they ignore it that it becomes a problem and yes we will forcefully remove you. So all in all just be quiet be confident and be polite, and don't be afraid to kiss a little butt if someone disagrees with your mission.

I always worry about shooting people on the street. Actually, the way people are anymore, I worry about buildings, boats, and random trees too. Always concerned that someone is going to be offended or angry. I've had people question what I was doing before, ask who I'm "working for"...

When you go to shoot with that kind of thought process people can and will pick up on it. If you're out of your comfort zone people notice. Start small go to a park just take pictures of objects while people are there. It's all about confidence. I was the same way, though totally different ecosystem, when I first got my ems license. I was more worried about what to do and if it was going to be the right intervention that I could tell it didn't make my patient very comfortable. If you aren't confident in your skills you won't get near the results you're after. Someone will always be negative in life that's just the rule. You just gotta be able to keep calm and collected. If you feel unsure move on. Most people don't mind. We get amateur and pro photographers on our scene all the time. We don't mind it since they keep to themselves. If it's a bad scene we will ask them to politely move on. It's when they ignore it that it becomes a problem and yes we will forcefully remove you. So all in all just be quiet be confident and be polite, and don't be afraid to kiss a little butt if someone disagrees with your mission.

Thats very true, it is all about confidence. you need to have the right attitude and always stay in control, the moment you feel unsure about your situation or whether you should actually be there is the moment everyone around you will confirm your fears.
This has nothing to do with being a good photographer, its all about the kind of person you are.

I almost got into big trouble for that on new years eve in vegas, 99.9% of people were more than happy to either pose or be photographed, but there is always 1 that makes a huge deal over it. I can hold my own and while not being rude or offensive i explained that her threats to "call security" would be pointless since i had done nothing wrong. Her "boyfriend" tried to grab my camera and it was quickly explained to him that if he did it again he would regret it...I did delete the photo purely out of courtesy, but i think one of them was having an affair and was worried about where the photos might end up. Its not all plain sailing !

A lot depends on the camera you use, most people dont know i have taken their photo i use an M4 prefocused at about 10 foot

yes i agree in certain cases, much easier to get away with that "sneaky" shot, however the consequenses if caught could potentially be much worse, people might assume your up to no good, or just a general perv (people can be funny about being photographed by strangers) however with a large DSLR, battery grip, and speedlight attached people often assume your an official photographer and tend not to question your motives for taking pictures of them, yes some people do, but I explain my reasons by telling them i am a freelance photog and more often than not they then ask for another shot.
I think you need to be a bit streetwise, be able to predict situations and know when or when not to press the shutter, I'm a bit of a people watcher, and like to think i can read the situation reasonably well, but obviously we can't all be 100% right all the time.

I have used a big DSLR for street photography and it does not work well ( 1D's do not have a battery grip :wink:) shooting street with a DSLR and longer lens looks creepier than a small RF that fits in 1 hand
Dog noticed me but woman did not have a clue (28mm)

img382-XL.jpg

thanks for sharing. in my opinion, when you wander around street, you can find inspiration what you don't know why you come across. it can be an old happy couple that live with each other for a life time. he

thanks for sharing!
I read the article and loved it. And his pictures have great people looks! I am an amateur and I have difficulties on getting this kind of pictures at the street, especially because they capture others people behavior, psychology, reaction...
I have a lot to learn!

I am not a big street photographer but I have done it both ways. There are times I use my little Canon G12 that lets me turn the LCD screen to change the viewing angle and I can get peoples pictures without ever bringing the camera up to my eye. Many other times I just ask the person and have found that I can make some very interesting images when I break the ice and talk with them for a few minutes. In my view camera days I had no choice other than to ask. I learned that the art of conversation while setting up my equipment. It was better than poking a camera is someones face and turning away. Two Lane Highway

What?

Attachments

• $image-2991168781.jpg
    $image-2991168781.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 185
Enjoyed the links and comments.

Thanks!

I was sad I was not able to save a few of his pix at the website. But his Flickr allowed downloads. I went through 18 pages of snapshots to find a handful of keepers that I really liked and would take the time to print. He even had a few 'selective color' specials. Very impressive body of work in any case.

I esp enjoyed his geometry shots and chiaroscuro work.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back