WHY?

Dave Maciak

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I'm old and set in my ways> AS grand daughter said "your cantankerous" What does that mean?
Anyway, I have no use for a mirrorless camera. I think quite a few hobbyists simply have a case of "photo gear-itis" . A modern DSLR has more capabilities then most can put into it. Kind of like golfers who swear a new club makes their game better. I say practice, learning, and imagination are your best bet. BTW, I have yet to find the "imagination" switch/button on any camera.

By all means, if you are hell bent for leather to buy a mirrorless than by all means do it. Ask yourself if it makes you a better shutterbug.

I'm saving up for a new 9 iron!
Get the image

I think for a lot of people, size and weight or the lack thereof with mirrrorless might be a factor.

Okay, I'm old and set in my ways> AS grand daughter said "your cantankerous" What does that mean?
Anyway, I have no use for a mirrorless camera. I think quite a few hobbyists simply have a case of "photo gear-itis" . A modern DSLR has more capabilities then most can put into it. Kind of like golfers who swear a new club makes their game better. I say practice, learning, and imagination are your best bet. BTW, I have yet to find the "imagination" switch/button on any camera.

By all means, if you are hell bent for leather to buy a mirrorless than by all means do it. Ask yourself if it makes you a better shutterbug.

I'm saving up for a new 9 iron!
Get the image

Mirrorless cameras have a size weight advantage but I don't find that too big a deal. BUT mirrorless cameras have a substantially reduced sensor to flange distance since the mirror cage has been taken out. As a result I use lenses on my mirrorless cameras that physically can't be mounted on your DSLR and that is one very good reason why. You can't physically do this:

IMG_2356.jpg

with your DSLR and as a result you can never benefit from being able to use a lens like the one you see here.

Joe

Good comments---but the expense (and learning curve) of a new system? Size? At least one manufacturer, my beloved Nikon, uses an adapter for some of it's lenses which of course increases size. Weight and size have never been an issue with me. The only "big" camera I ever used was a Koni Omega Rapid for weddings; way back in the early 70's. BTW Joe, nice lens.
I think for a lot of people, size and weight or the lack thereof with mirrrorless might be a factor.
Very true.
Not quite old enough to be in the Speed Graphic era!!!
Get the image

Good comments---but the expense (and learning curve) of a new system? Size? At least one manufacturer, my beloved Nikon, uses an adapter for some of it's lenses which of course increases size.
No adapter of any kind is going to let you put my nice lens on your DSLR. It's physically impossible. Mirrorless makes it possible.

Joe
Weight and size have never been an issue with me. The only "big" camera I ever used was a Koni Omega Rapid for weddings; way back in the early 70's. BTW Joe, nice lens.
Very true.
Not quite old enough to be in the Speed Graphic era!!!
Get the image

New gear can inspire. Inspiration can make you a better photographer.

It doesn't matter what they come out with. I can't afford any of it. :allteeth:

Well, after reading Ken Rockwell comparison mirrorless vs. dslr he soundly supported the mirrorless. Like Mike Drone I can't afford to switch. I still love my D780 and is my choice for 99% of what I shoot these days. Your comments are well received but the dslr is my choice. After 55 years of shooting just about everything I"m happy with the results I get.
Get the image

Some of us never went down the DSLR route, so it's not a case of switching.

When digital cameras first came out, I could no longer see the point of a mirror flapping about in the body - so I went straight from my 35mm SLR to a top end Nikon compact, then Canon G, then the early Lumix mirrorless bodies plus Olympus lenses and now Fuji.

With the new mirrorless bodies from Sony, Fuji, Canon and Nikon I believe my faith in mirrorless and my belief that the mirror was an unnecessary throwback to the film era has been reinforced.

I think the real question is why stick with a flappy mirror, and I suspect the wholly understandable reason is the heavy investment in lenses.

Anyway, I have no use for a mirrorless camera.
Cool.

I’m asking honestly... What is your end goal with this thread? It seems better suited in a DSLR or Nikon forum (e.g., your love of Nikon and DSLRs), otherwise, it seems like you’re being cantankerous. ;)

Lens adaptability is the #1 draw in my opinion. But also, some mirrorless designs allow high-speed electronic shutter. Ectremely rapid fire. Etc.

I was in Kenmore WA in Dec. 2019 when I found a Fuji X-M1 for $75.

For an additional$20, I bought an adapter to hook up all my old Minolta glass from my manual focus days and voila... was able to shoot them to my hearts content and bought glass I was never able to previosly afford for SUPER cheap!

It in that scenario forces you back to real old school techniques like manual focus et-al...

Pros of a mirrorless (based on my Fuji)
Smaller
Lighter
What you see is what you get viewfinder
external controls for aperture, shutter speed, ISO, af mode, +-EC
It's a Fuji so the colors are better

BTW learning curve was not long or very difficult if that is what scares you.

These are Fuji specific and not general to mirrorless. If you want external controls like the Fuji X cameras you can have that without adopting a mirrorless camera - Nikon DF.

As for Fuji colors being better that's pretty subjective and again not related to mirrorless in general.

Joe

These are Fuji specific and not general to mirrorless. If you want external controls like the Fuji X cameras you can have that without adopting a mirrorless camera - Nikon DF.

As for Fuji colors being better that's pretty subjective and again not related to mirrorless in general.

Joe

which is why I said based on my Fuji

Most reactions

New Topics

Back