Wich lens? 10-22 or 17-40?

SandShots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a wide angle lens and wanted some input from you guys.

Right now im looking at the canon 10-22 and at the 17-40. Both lenses are rated very well but the 17-40 is a full frame wich i can use when i move up to the 5d from the 40d. They are prices about the same. Is there a noticeable diffrence from 10 to 17mm?

since your not fx get the 10-22, then sell it and get the 17-40 when you upgrade. you wont be happy with a 17-40 on a crop sensor if you into landscapes, im pretty sure a 10-22 is on par with the L lenses, but they dont have it as L for marketing reasons, probably because its designed for crop sensor cameras.

Is there a noticeable diffrence from 10 to 17mm?
Yes, huge difference.

I see this exact same conundrum all the time. People have a crop camera, want a wide angle lens but also want to upgrade to full frame.

I agree with den9, just get the wide lens and use it while you still have your crop camera. You can always sell it when you upgrade. High quality lenses hold their value very well.

I have the 10-22mm, it's a fantastic lens. A lot of people opt for the Sigma 10-20mm because it's less expensive.

since your not fx get the 10-22, then sell it and get the 17-40 when you upgrade. you wont be happy with a 17-40 on a crop sensor if you into landscapes, im pretty sure a 10-22 is on par with the L lenses, but they dont have it as L for marketing reasons, probably because its designed for crop sensor cameras.

Canon doesn't have FX and DX designations. It's EF mount and EF-S mount with EF mount working on EF-S mount cameras.

The 17-40 is a great lens, but on an APS-C Canon, it's nothing special other than a good 18-55 kit replacement. Another cheaper option that holds it's value well is the Sigma 10-20. I believe that they released a new one that has a static aperture across the zoom range.

when i use my 17-55 for landscape, it's just not wide enough.
i just can't seem to get everything i want into the frame.

i've been searching Craigs List for a 10-22..

Most reactions

Back