Wich second camera i should get?

penuttmman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, i curently have the nikon D3400 with the 18-55 mm Lens. I am looking to upgrade. I generaly do landscape and portrait / self portrait photography. I also bring my camera on day hikes. I am looking at the mirrorless Canon eos m6 Mark 2? I know its a different brand of camera but im willing to change it. Would this be a good switch? I am looking At the kit with the lens

The M6 Mark II, released Sept 2019, is more of a vlogging camera than a traditional stills camera as body only does not come with a viewfinder, but it looks like you can add an optional viewfinder, which comes with a kit. It does not have IBIS, which is a deal breaker for me. Other than that, the specs are impressive. New, it looks like they go from $1k to about $1400 as a kit with either a 15-45mm or 18-150mm lens, or $850 body only. It looks like the optional viewfinder slides into the hot shoe so I'm not sure how it would work with a flash. I would worry about diffraction. It tends to be a bit more of a problem with high density sensors like a 32mp sensor in an aps-c form factor. A diffraction calculator says diffraction may be visible somewhere around f/6.7

If you wanted to stay with Canon, I'd save an extra couple of months and get an R7 kit (18-150mm F3.5-6.3) for $1900. although diffraction may be an issue it has superior specs to the M6 Mark II with a better AF system and it is a new camera being released this year.

Hi, i curently have the nikon D3400 with the 18-55 mm Lens. I am looking to upgrade. I generaly do landscape and portrait / self portrait photography. I also bring my camera on day hikes. I am looking at the mirrorless Canon eos m6 Mark 2? I know its a different brand of camera but im willing to change it. Would this be a good switch? I am looking At the kit with the lens
Without knowing why you feel the need to upgrade, all anyone can offer are uneducated recommendations. What do you want to do that your present camera doesn't do?

Last edited:
What he said....

The D3400 is a great camera, 24MP, can take all the DX lenses and is light / easy to carry (I have a D3300, the older brother to yours).

What is it you are looking to do with a new camera that you cannot already do with the Nikon?

Were I in your shoes, and if you like Nikon's system, I would be looking for a second hand APS-C or Full Frame that offered more than the D3400 offers. For instance, a used D7500 could be something to consider. It offers fewer MPs, but the overall performance is miles ahead of a D3400 without spending too much.

If you just have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), then no worries mate, happens to us all, sometimes only something shiny and new will cure the GAS. However, maybe wait a bit to see if you really want that Canon / want to spend more money to replicate something you actually already have in the D3400, instead of going for something that is actually bigger / better / faster...

What he said....

The D3400 is a great camera, 24MP, can take all the DX lenses and is light / easy to carry (I have a D3300, the older brother to yours).

What is it you are looking to do with a new camera that you cannot already do with the Nikon?

Were I in your shoes, and if you like Nikon's system, I would be looking for a second hand APS-C or Full Frame that offered more than the D3400 offers. For instance, a used D7500 could be something to consider. It offers fewer MPs, but the overall performance is miles ahead of a D3400 without spending too much.

If you just have GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome), then no worries mate, happens to us all, sometimes only something shiny and new will cure the GAS. However, maybe wait a bit to see if you really want that Canon / want to spend more money to replicate something you actually already have in the D3400, instead of going for something that is actually bigger / better / faster...
Yeah you are definitely right the reason i wouls want a new camera is to explore! I tried canon before and i really liked how it is used! I obly have the basic camera lens witch is the 18-55mm that came with it. I feel like i would want a more recent camera and then to explore the diffrent type of lens that i could purchase to try diffrent type of photography but im just not looking into expanding my D3400 more than what it is so i would sell it to purchase a more high end camera but i think that i wouldn’t see that much of a difference in it

Without knowing why you feel the need to upgrade, all anyone can offer are uneducated recommendations. What do you want to do that your present camera doesn't do
Without knowing why you feel the need to upgrade, all anyone can offer are uneducated recommendations. What do you want to do that your present camera doesn't do?
I would like to upgrade to get a tilting/rotating screen, to be able to take photos remotely with my phone, the d3400 is a couple of years old and i just have the basic lens (18-55mm). My initial thought is that i dont feel like investing in new lens if the camera is a bit older and would rather start fresh with something new and up to date and buy lenses from there but from what im understanding is that my initial thoughts are wrong

I would like to upgrade to get a tilting/rotating screen, to be able to take photos remotely with my phone, the d3400 is a couple of years old and i just have the basic lens (18-55mm). My initial thought is that i dont feel like investing in new lens if the camera is a bit older and would rather start fresh with something new and up to date and buy lenses from there but from what im understanding is that my initial thoughts are wrong

Here is an idea of the price you "could" get for your D3400 (take into account this is a company that sells used camera gear, so likely you would not be able to get as much as they offer a 180 day warranty etc) Nikon D3400 DSLR Camera Body, Black {24.2MP}

Unless you would be buying used, that is not a lot of money to put towards another camera system. Still, it is better than nothing.

If you are looking to move to Canon (as you mentioned you like it), then it might be a good idea to sell the D3400 as the lenses are not compatible (unless you buy an adapter). Or, alternatively, keep the D3400 as a backup in case you lose / damage the Canon (you will still be able to take photos).

Frankly, I had this same debate with myself about my D3300, and as I became more serious about photography decided to keep it as a backup / EDC Bag camera as the used price I could get was not worth what the camera is capable of doing.

I would like to upgrade to get a tilting/rotating screen, to be able to take photos remotely with my phone, the d3400 is a couple of years old and i just have the basic lens (18-55mm). My initial thought is that i don't feel like investing in new lens if the camera is a bit older and would rather start fresh with something new and up to date and buy lenses from there but from what I'3m understanding is that my initial thoughts are wrong
My 2 DSLRs are so poorly designed that they don't even have interchangeable finders, so the best I can do with them is employ a right angle finder, which only provides 2X magnification - better than nothing but a far cry from a 5X waist level or 6X Hi-Mag finder. If the articulating screens magnify, then switching cameras would make sense to me. I don't pretend to be qualified to recommend what you ought to do when you need low-angle focus. For that, Nikon F cameras work for me, as well as my Mamiya RB67 Pro SD.
Your comment about the D3400 being old makes no sense to me, so I'll leave it to others to expound upon that.

Your comment about the D3400 being old makes no sense to me, so I'll leave it to others to expound upon that.

The D3400 was first introduced in 2016 and replaced by the D3500 in 2018. At 24MP, it's not like it is antiquated in any way. The differences between them are: 45g lighter, slightly longer battery life, buttons moved around, and a deeper grip. That is it.

If the OP is looking to move up, then I can understand that. Today while taking very long landscape shots, the D3300 was having a lot of problems focusing in the distance, whereas the D7500 had zero problems replicating the shot.

Last edited:
Mirrorless? The Fuji X-T1+Fujinon 18-55 2.8-4 might be worth a look. Not your usual metal-free kit lens.

What is your current rig not doing that you want to do?

You're not talking about getting a second camera. Keeping your D3400 and then getting a Canon (or any non-Nikon body) only makes sense if you're going to sell your D3400 and lens. Which means you're starting over. If you want a second body, then get a Nikon so that way your batteries and lens are compatible, they have similar menus, you're not learning everything from scratch. Frankly, if you want to shoot landscapes and portraits, your D3400 will do that fine--you should just invest in better glass. The lens you have now (a kit lens) isn't great for landscape and is mediocre for portraits. Ideally a good portrait lens should be capable of at least f2.8 for aperture.

If you're unhappy with the Nikon body, then make a list of what you want to shoot and how you want to use the camera. The body is not the most important element, the lens are.

If you continue to focus (no pun intended) on mostly landscapes with some portraits and you take a lot of hikes then my advice would be: you need to be willing to spend to get a good "multipurpose/all-in-one" lens (something like 18mm-105mm or longer). And that definitely isn't a kit lens. But for hiking around, you don't want to be carrying 2-3 lens or swapping them out and having to open up a backpack. As far as the articulated screen, if that's a big thing for you, okay. Personally, I think it's great for stuff you don't shoot--macro photography and food photography. For landscapes and portraits--not essential. It's one more thing that can go wrong on the camera.

Don't get distracted by a shiny object. Be clear about what you shoot/want to shoot. Look at how you use your camera. Get a lens that does that that kind of photography and then find a camera that works with that lens. I know, not very glamorous or sexy.

I'd get another Nikon crop sensor camera so you can use your existing lenses, unless you're completely wanting to change systems which can expensive quickly.

OK.. I have Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, Phase One/ Mamiya, and Hasselblad all set up in Digital.

if you want to upgrade from the D3500, then the mirrorless is defiantly the way to go. But remember that adapters (except the really expensive ones) will force manual focus and other settings.

If like me you don't mind that, then the world is your oyster and you can use about 75% of all SLR lenses on the market (small and medium format) on the mirrorless.

The used market is where the deals lie and good ones at that. The Canon R bodies are very close to the EOS line is size and feel.

Nikon Z bodies are worlds apart from the D series.

I STRONGLY suggest that instead of just buying, go to a store and try out the diff. cameras.

Sony A series are wonderful in overall IQ and have a huge following but for me are way too small for their function. The Canon to me would be what I would go to only because it fits my oversized hand. The Nikons are too small IMO for the mirrorless even though I have the Fuji and Panasonic. But I use those for my old Minoltas and manual glass anyway and are much closer to the old 1980's era film cameras that shot those lenses.

I'd look for a good condition Nikon D7200. The biggest difference will be the improved viewfinder and focusing system. The D7500 would be a big upgrade too. I've owned everything from a d5100 to a d850 and I'm very happy with my Z50 and 2 lens kit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back