Wide Angle Bride?

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have fallen in love with this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000EW8074/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1EK26QCON8HCT&colid=1CL42KG5E5U0D"]
31GQToTZUVL._SL500_SL135_.jpg
[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-Lens-Cameras/dp/B000EW8074/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1EK26QCON8HCT&colid=1CL42KG5E5U0D"]Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras[/ame]

...and want to use it for an upcoming wedding. The problem is, I'm wondering if I should be using a wide angle with a heavy-set bride. Will it make her seem more heavy set? The last time I used it was for a theater production where everyone was young and thin and the shots were awesome. Is there a better lens to use or will this one be OK as a primary? I'm also looking for recommendations on a second lens for my back-up camera.

Thanks all!

heavy people are heavy.

that lens would be fine.

heavy people are heavy.

that lens would be fine.

Yeah, I know. I just don't want to make her seem heavier. But you think it would be alright?

that lens would be fine.

He tends to know what he's talking about.

But really, if you're that concerned about it, be sure to shoot her at the normal range of the focal length rather than the wide (to be safe)...

...and also, there's Photoshop if I'm desperate. LOL.

Any thoughts on a good second lens?

The wide angle will only distort things if its used close to the subject I think. (kind of like shooting a head shot close up with a wide angle - the nose looks huge!)

Wide angles are great for getting wife shots of a bunch of things, just don't fill the shot with just your bride or it "may" make her look bigger, depending on the perspectives.

Also, for some reason, everyone looks thinner from above!
-Dave

Ps as for a second lense, I'm not sure how cannon works but if they have a 70-200 2.8 lense, that would work great for weddings alongside a good wide/normal lense.

Ps as for a second lense, I'm not sure how cannon works but if they have a 70-200 2.8 lense, that would work great for weddings alongside a good wide/normal lense.

^ +1

24-70 2.8L is a good choice as well.

I have that same lens and use it a LOT! It's a great lens for a wedding. As for portraits of the bride... classic sort of portaits? Well, not so great. But the bulk of photography at wedding these days is not classic portraiture. Just don't shoot too often with her at the edge of the frame and you'll be fine.

Also, for some reason, everyone looks thinner from above!

Good observation. The reason is: When you get a person's head out in front of their body a bit, it will give the impression that their body is a bit smaller that it really is.

And I agree with Dave too about bringing something longer. You'll need it for shots during the ceremony and those classic style portraits.

Good luck!

-Pete

OOOPS. I just re-read your original post. My lens is the 17-40mm. So, for you, better yet!

The 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is indeed a favorite of wedding photographers who shoot with APS-C sensor cameras. It's optical quality is on par with most 'L' lenses, but since it's an EF-S lens, it doesn't get the 'L' moniker.

One thing to be aware of, is that the IS system is prone to wearing out if used too much. Fortunately, it's not needed as much on such a short lens (compared to a longer lens) so the solution is to just turn it off unless you are shooting at shutter speeds that really require the use of IS.

A great pair to this lens, would be one of the 70-200mm L lenses. There are four (well five now, with a new version of the F2.8 L IS) to choose from in the Canon line up, plus models from Sigma/Tamron etc.

Add the EF-S 10-22mm and you would have the 'Holy Trinity' for Canon APS-C (crop) cameras.

24-70 2.8L is a good choice as well.
A good lens, and a workhorse of the industry, but I think it's a bit of an awkward focal length on a crop sensor camera. 24mm just isn't wide enough.

Most reactions

Back