Wide Angle Digital Camera !!

vjman999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I ma newbie to the world of amateur photography with my experience limited to a Canon A610 5MP digital camera.

After playing around with my digital camera quite a bit, I got interested in taking wide angle pictures/pictures with more of the background along with the person in focus. (Not sure of the technical term here :blushing: )

Also I would like to have a camera which fits into my pocket. As far as i know, Only digital cameras fit into pocket. So i researched around and found out the Canon sx200is. with 12x optical zoom and 28mm-336mm (35mm equivalent)-f/3.4-5.3. There are other Panasonic DC's with focal length around 25mm and 10 MP.

So my questions are,
1) Are there other good digital cameras with focal length lower than 28mm.
2) Am i being Naive in trying to get a digital camera (and not DSLR) with wide lens.
3) Has anyone here compared the wide angle feature on the Canon sx200is with any other wide angle lens camera photos.
4) For casual/semi-casual photography, how wide a lens (how much lower the no. <35mm ) is more than good enough.

If you could also talk about wide angle cameras in general, that would be helpful as well.

My Panasonic take's excellent pictures (even though some reviews will say otherwise).

The image stabalization works very well ... especially since I refuse to use flash.

Once you start getting lower than 24mm (35mm film format) the distortion becomes too much.

The problem with wide angle lenses is that you need to move in very close with them, in order to produce an effective shot. Moving in close while avoiding major distortion is a considerable challenge which is beyond many beginning photographers. Beginners tend to NOT move in, producing flat, boring photos with subjects that are too small and apparently off-in-the-distance.

skieur

@dxqcanada..

Whats ur camera model...

So if i get it right, you are saying you get good wide angle shots with ur camera..

The problem with wide angle lenses is that you need to move in very close with them, in order to produce an effective shot. Moving in close while avoiding major distortion is a considerable challenge which is beyond many beginning photographers. Beginners tend to NOT move in, producing flat, boring photos with subjects that are too small and apparently off-in-the-distance.

skieur

Skieur... As i mentioned before.. I am an amateur... I dont know jack about photography !!...But i am interested in learning... Whats a decent way to start... Should i go and get a DSLR? and if so.. with what kind of lenses and such... whats a cheap but good DSLR to get?

Ah, I thought you would see it in my signature.

Panasonic FX-35

I am saying that I think the quality of the images are very high.
I have a 16mm (24mm) lens on my DSLR ... and it has more distortion than the Panasonic. The overall quality of the images are very close to my DSLR.

There are other 25mm P&S models out there ... this was the best for the price that I could find.

You can easily find used DSLR's fairly cheap now, since there are so many models coming out every year.
Example ... my Sony a100 is currently only worth about $300.00 with a 18-70mm (27-105mm) used.

The only problem with jumping to a DSLR is the cost of the lenses when you go beyond the general lenses.
The 16mm lens that I have cost me $350.00 used.

Panasonic LX3 is a 24mm f/2.0 in the wide side of its focal length range. As much as think it is a good camera, I don't think it is a replacement to the DSLR with proper lens.

skieur

Skieur... As i mentioned before.. I am an amateur... I dont know jack about photography !!...But i am interested in learning... Whats a decent way to start... Should i go and get a DSLR? and if so.. with what kind of lenses and such... whats a cheap but good DSLR to get?

Consider picking up a Sony DSLR (Minolta technology) with live view and tiltable LCD screen with a 18mm to 50mm lens, or buy it body only and scout the pawnshops for automatic A mount Minolta lenses that will fit on it. ( I saw 3 Minolta lenses for $300 CAD total in one) A Canon Xsi is also a good bet, but may be more expensive when you add in a decent lens.

I should point out that all cameras have their good points and bad points. It is more a matter of what camera features are important to you, and which features you are likely to use, or not care about. Some cameras for example are weather sealed from rain, dust, etc. and very durable. If you are very rough with your camera, then that is important. If you take reasonable care of your camera, then it is less so. I knocked a camera off a truck seat out the door on to the pavement without any damage to either camera or lens and that camera was neither weather sealed nor renowned for durability.

skieur

Most reactions

Back