Wide Angle for a D7000?

Tarazed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching on the web for a wide angle lens and thought I'd ask you folks for some opinions. So, long story short, I recently traded some equipment and now have a D7000 with the following lenses: 35 1.8, 50 1.8, 105 2.8 and a 80-200 2.8. I'm considering the Nikon 10-24, Tokina 12-24 or maybe a 17-50 2.8? I have only briefly owned a 3rd party lens, but, have been considering it; constant aperture is preferred. I have not done must landscape work, but I would like to have the ability to do so. Any thoughts?

I can vouch for the Nikkor 10-14.

StoneBridgePost3948.jpg

BlueArchesDSPost.jpg

NewYearsEveSunset2011Small.jpg

Post_PrintingPresses_pregamma_1_mantiuk06_contrast_mapping_01_saturation_factor_08_detail_factor_1.jpg

Huge +1 on the Tokina. Own it. Love it. Fantastic lens for the price. Sharp, super wide. (As sharp or sharper than the 10-24... But they're very close here). I'm also using it on a D7000. Probably the biggest plus for it as opposed to the Nikon 10-24 is build quality. It feels like a professional lens! Durable with a metal body.

Both are great lenses. I just feel you get more bang for your buck with the Tokina.

Lem

Tokina 12-24 is what I use as I do not need 2.8. either one of the tokina lens will out perform that nikon wide angle lens. The nikon when zooming the barrel extends where the tokina does not. I have been tempted to get the nikon only because of the extra width but if I was to go 10-24 I would also consider the sigma 8-16. Also if I was going to dump $900 on the nikon I would get look for a used 14-24 and make my next step be an FX body. Tokina is sharper around the outer parts of the frame compared to the Nikon. It does not make much sense to get a wide lens if you can not use the outer part of the frame as much at the cost of the Nikon that is. Tokina is also built like a tank. I have always been nikon nikon nikon but after I chanced this lens I have never looked back.

I also shoot with the D7000

Tokina 12-24 Sample:

brick wall by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

the tokina 11-16, it sure does get wide...

rundown_4.jpg

carinterior_1.jpg

I also must say. I have seen a comparison of the big boy nikon 14-24 @ 14mm (widest) and the tokina 11-16 @ 16 narrowest. On a d700 full frame camera. Btw the tokina is a dx lens that is basically just a prime lens @ 16mm when mounted on a full frame camera, but the picture was nearly identical, with the much more expensive nikon being a little bit sharper at the edges. And only slightly wider, deffently not 2mm wider

The tokinas are great 3rd party glass to say the lest

Everyone forgets to mention that the 10-24 focuses faster, and more accurately than any of the third party lenses (after all.. it is a Nikon). And if you going to talk image quality, I have yet to see any numbers to back up what anyone say about the third party lenses being better. :)

Everyone forgets to mention that the 10-24 focuses faster, and more accurately than any of the third party lenses (after all.. it is a Nikon). And if you going to talk image quality, I have yet to see any numbers to back up what anyone say about the third party lenses being better. :)

yeah, but we are talking $300 difference here between nikon 12-24mm f4 G IF-ED and tokina 12-24mm f/4.0 . that's conspicuous enough on my paycheck haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back