Wide angle for Sony A7

DrewPR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I just recently transitioned out of a Canon 6D into an A7 and so far all I've done is slap on the kit lens (28-70mm, 3.5-5.6). However I've feel like a wider angle set up would be a great investment for this rig. Currently doing a variety of scenes, we'll just say mid-range to landscape, not much macro.

I know the A7 system is relatively new and that they haven't put out a ton of gear for it specifically but I know adapters for other brand names are available for not too much dough. Price range is not necessarily pertinent but lets try to keep the solution under a grand. Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

~Drew

Get the Voigtlander close focus adapter and Voitglander 15mm heliar M mount works great on the A7 with corner fix app

Thanks for the tip, gary. I read a few reviews and blog posts on the voigtlander-A7 combo and the results, even with the corner blurring and magenta color shift, were not too shabby and were usually covered up by the standard vignetting. Here's some examples pulled from this SteveHuffPhoto blog post:

Corner Blurring example:
$01_Infinity_F5.6-680x453.jpg

$01_Infinity_Right-Lower-Corner-680x510.jpg

Magenta color shift example:
$01_Magenta-680x453.jpg

Do you happen to have any sample images utilizing the corner fix app with this set-up? I can't find too much info online on that particular app and I'm not sure just how well it corrects for these issues.

Voigtlander 40F1.4 Nokton sc, all on A7

DSC00856-XL.jpg

and a crop of above photo

DSC00856_1-XL.jpg

Voigtlander 50F1.5 asph Nokton with close focus adapter fully out

DSC01096-XL.jpg

Voigtlander 28mmF2 Ultron

DSC00942%20copy-XL.jpg

Thanks Gary! This was helpful. Definitely looking into picking up this combo.

Thanks Gary! This was helpful. Definitely looking into picking up this combo.

The Voightlander close focus adapter is not cheap but is beautifully made and reduces minimum focus by more than half, i will be getting the 15mm or 12mm voigtlander should be good fun to play with the close focus on those lenses

Hey all,

I just recently transitioned out of a Canon 6D into an A7 and so far all I've done is slap on the kit lens (28-70mm, 3.5-5.6). However I've feel like a wider angle set up would be a great investment for this rig. Currently doing a variety of scenes, we'll just say mid-range to landscape, not much macro.

I know the A7 system is relatively new and that they haven't put out a ton of gear for it specifically but I know adapters for other brand names are available for not too much dough. Price range is not necessarily pertinent but lets try to keep the solution under a grand. Thoughts? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

~Drew
Hi Drew,

I had a bunch of Canon EOS and FD lenses that I have kept since the 1990's and when the Sony A7R came out I was glad I had lenses. I am a wide angle nut that used to roam around with a Leica M-3 and the 21 mm super Angulon lens, shooting Tri-X. Great for street photos set at f8 and zone focused from infinity to 3 ft.
Even had the Leica 19mm R lens and the Leica R3. Anyway, Canon never had (or have great wide angle lenses) but I had a 20mm F2.8 Canon EOS that I am now using on the A7R and with manual focusing it is sharp at f11 that I am happy with. No corner vignetting. Keeping my eye out for a Canon FD 17mm.

Harley

Most reactions

Back