Wide Angle Help

ftacnikaustin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm trying to decide between these wide angles and need some help. I just want a nice wide that will be able to shoot decent to good in low light situations.

Option 1
Canon 20mm 2.8
Canon | Super Wide Angle EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Autofocus | 2509A003

Option 2
Sigma 20mm 1.8
Sigma | Super W/A 20mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF RF AF | 411101

So the question is, am I really going to need that difference from 2.8-1.8? Will it help a lot? Also is it worth giving up Canon quality? Or is the Sigma a really good quality lens? I'm open to other suggestions within that price range as well. I'm looking for a nice wide lens that doesn't have too much distortion and works pretty well in low light. Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Thanks in advance.

What are you using this for?

Why not go for this?

Tokina | 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X 116 Pro DX Autofocus | ATX116PRODXC

If you want a much wider lens, this is f/2.8 and pretty fast. Might be more useful to you.

I'm going to be using it for pretty much everything. Portraits, landscapes, group shots. Shooting weddings. I think I'm just going to go with the sigma because of the f1.8. That way it will be better for low light stuff such as weddings. Has anyone used this lens? How did you like it? Did it have too much distortion? I'll be shooting with a 20D so keep that in mind. Also how sharp was it?

Why not go for this?

If you want a much wider lens, this is f/2.8 and pretty fast. Might be more useful to you.

I'm going to be using it for pretty much everything. Portraits, landscapes, group shots. Shooting weddings. I think I'm just going to go with the sigma because of the f1.8. That way it will be better for low light stuff such as weddings. Has anyone used this lens? How did you like it? Did it have too much distortion? I'll be shooting with a 20D so keep that in mind. Also how sharp was it?

F/1.8 is a pretty shallow depth of field. I have a Canon 50 f/1.4 and almost NEVER shoot wide open. Just food for thought. You might be better off sticking in the 2.8 range and getting something that is a more versatile lens for you. Especially since you have stated that you want to use this lens for many purposes.

Just recently purchased this one:

Tamron | SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II VC LD | AFB005C700 | B&H

And if you want it without VC (IS) you can get this:

Tamron | 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Can | AF016C700

Fantastic lens, f/2.8 throughout and 17-50 is a great range. Great picture quality.

The standard non vc version is better ;)

I've heard quite the opposite. Having used 4 different L lenses I can honestly say the IQ with this lens is very close to them in all regards. Even compared to the spectacular 24-105mm this lens pretty much matches the IQ. Pretty good overall for a wider lens.

:thumbup: +1 for the Tokina or the Tamron. ( I own both) They are both quality optics. the Tamron's motor is a bit noisy but not bad. The construction is decent.

The advantage of the zoom in this situation would be for landscapes and weddings where you movement can be limited much more than shooting portraits and group photos.

Why not go for this?

F/1.8 is a pretty shallow depth of field. I have a Canon 50 f/1.4 and almost NEVER shoot wide open. Just food for thought. You might be better off sticking in the 2.8 range and getting something that is a more versatile lens for you. Especially since you have stated that you want to use this lens for many purposes.

I own the 50 1.8 and find myself shooting wide open pretty often. Especially shooting at night or low lighting. Also the reason I am thinking about getting a prime is because I already own the 50 and plan on getting a 35 as well. I'm just a prime guy. Anyone know about the quality between the canon 20mm 2.8 and the sigma 20mm 1.8?

Most reactions

Back