Wide Angle Landscape C&C

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been working on my landscape shots recently in preparation for the fall colors. I have found that wide angle landscape are not as easy to do as I might have imagined. It seems pretty easy to take a bad picture even when I thought what I was doing would get something nice.

So I have been experimenting with DOF scale and the angle of the lens and at least trying to be more aware of composition. I've been playing with multiple exposures and long exposures just trying to get a feel for what works in some conditions and not others.

Here are a couple practice pictures. I know both have issue but I would like your thoughts on what might have made these better? What subtle little things did I miss that might have given these images that extra something? I also couldn't decide if I liked the warmer or cooler WB better.

This one was two exposures 112 seconds at f/16 ISO 50 with an ND for the foreground and water and a second at 1/15 for the sky and clouds using a 21mm manual focus prime. I didn't like the ripple on the water but then didn't like the effect on the clouds hence the double exposure. Not sure if that really works though.

Lost Lake by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

2 This second one is a single exposure 47 seconds at f/16 ISO 50 with an ND same 21mm MF lens

Lost Lake 2 by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

They both look good to me, although I think I like the wider take on the first one.

What lens are you using?

Thanks,

I'm using a Zeiss 21mm 2.8 t* Distagon on a canon 6D

I didnt nail the focus on either of these. This lens is capable of producing much sharper images when used properly.

These are quite good. I like the composition, particularly in the first image.

There's a couple of things around the processing that I'd adjust. I think the blues are a bit much in both shots so I'd tone them down a touch. Personally I prefer the white balance in the second shot so I'd go with that colour temp. In the first shot the peak on the right hand side has a whiteish patch below it so I'd burn it down a bit.

In the second image the trees are too dark and you are loosing detail in the shadows and seperation from the background so I'd lighten them up to at least the same as the first image.

That's what I'd do anyway. But yeah, nice shots

I like the 1st shot better. I prefer that angle and pov on the log in the water which draws me into the photo. Also, I'm not crazy about the clouds in the 2nd shot. I know with the longer exposure you get some movement and sometimes that is nice but in this case it just throws me off when I look at it. Agree with @weepete about the blues and wb.

I don't think they are test shots, I think they are awesome shots!

Cant wait to see what your happy with.

Personally I wish there was something awesome off to the right that the log was pointing us to, like a Grizzly or perhaps a Beaver. Your going to have to do some sitting to get that shot just right. Good luck with the fall colours I hope a Moose shows up!

1st shot for me. Maybe as Weepete mentioned adjusting the tone slightly, but overall this is a great image.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

I redid the first one with most or all of the recommendations above. I'm still not sure if the tone is right. I was very subtle with the slider as just one step too far looked too cool perhaps I needed just a touch more magenta?

Lost Lake by Kristian Algra, on Flickr

I think both are excellent, though I prefer 1#. Your distinct and defined foreground, that is in focus, is key for this type of landscape. I think your technique is spot on. The only suggestions I would give;
  • Always check your level. I think both photos are leaning to the left
  • Though you may already be aware, it to work the shot; often times, with a wide angle lens, moving a few inches left, right or down, can make some surprising changes in the composition. Lastly, always stay as low and perpendicular to the ground as possible.
Otherwise, I would say they are both excellent! Look forward to seeing more of your photos.

The only problem I saw with the first image was the blue reflection in the water at the foreground. It just didn't seem to match what I would imagine from the sky. To bright of a blue. Maybe sample the blue from the second shot or even a little darker?

I really like your edit. The leading line of the log from bottom left to the middle with that lone yellow leaf sticking on it, then the mountains and clouds. Really nice work.

Most reactions

Back