Wide angle Lens adapter

You should reread your question
And think about it for 1 or 2 seconds ...

It would be worse than a stack of cheap filters

Several years ago, shortly after I moved from point and shoot cameras to a DSLR (after 30+ years with 35mm cameras), I saw a 'wide angle adapter and telephoto adapter' for about $40 on ebay. I figure 'what the heck? I'd only be out $40 if it was junk.'

When they arrived, I screwed the telephoto adapter to the front of my EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS lens mounted to my 30D and tried a couple of shots. The Auto Focus system kept hunting and hunting to focus on anything. I tried something at 50' away, and then over 100' away. No luck. It just couldn't focus. So I tried my luck manual focusing and could only come up with blurry results as there is no 35mm style 'split ring' or 'ground fresnel' focusing screen in the digital camera.

OK, let's unscrew that one and try the wide angle. Unfortunately, while unscrewing the telephoto adapter, the adapter itself unscrewed into two pieces and the two internal lenses and 2 spacer rings dropped out to the floor. Needless to say, I never tried the wide angle adapter before it and the pieces of the telephoto adapter went into the trash.

At least I got 2 'nice' small vinyl lens cases out of deal. I use one to hold a travel alarm clock and the other is still on the loose in my house somewhere.

You could use your existing lens and do pano shots up and down to go pretty much as wide as you want...

Wide angle adapters are MUCH cheaper than a new lens.
The quality isn't as good but with all of mine has been quite reasonable.

Most of mine are old ones for SLRs which are designed for a 50mm lens. Mounted on a µ4/2 kit lens at the wide end they give a circular FOV with most of the image showing the inside of the adapter, and IIRC still vignette at the long end. I dfo have an Olympus 0.8x version which workes very well on the kit lens, but a little wider would have been nice. It cost quite a bit more than the others but still well under a new lens.

I've only ever tried one of the telephoto versions - this wasn't worth the postage :x

Most reactions

Back