Wide angle lens advice..

Rummie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking for a wide angle lens, wider than my kit 18-55 lens. Im on a budget, but I wanted to get an idea of decent lenses that have a better wide angle than my kit lens, if any.
I'm using a canon xs.

Thank you all

Last edited:
I've been very happy with my Tokina 11-17. It is constant aperture 2.8 and pretty sharp even wide open. It's gotten generally good reviews from users here. Runs about $650. The f4 version is about $400 I think and it too seems to get pretty good reviews.

Helps to know which camera you are using.

I shot a few frames with a Tokina 11-17mm f/2.8 from a Nikon user who I ran into one evening...we swapped lenses...he tried my brand-new 50 1.8-G and I tried the Tokina 11-17. I LIKED the heft and solidness of the Tokina, plus, to me, a no-to-too-wide-angle kinda' guy, it seemed very,very,very wiiiiiiide! Of course, the Tokina, and Tamron, and Sigma wide zooms in the 10-22,12-24,11-17,etc. range are all available for different camera systems--Canon EF,Nikon F,Pentax,Sony Alpha mounts.

Sorry added camera to original post. Canon XS 1000d

Wider than your kit is less than the 18mm end. So, the ones you've listed aren't an option.
I'd look at the Tokina or the sigma TheBiles suggested.
For roughly the same range the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non VC version is very nice and affordable as well.
You want to look for a constant f/2.8 and then when you find one that interests you do your research or ask on it.
Tamron, Sigma and Tokina all make some decent ones as well as some duds. There are a few other off brand names that are pretty much junk. Zeiss is top of the line above even Canon's lenses.

Alright, thanks for the input all. I will look into those options..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back