Wide angle lens and filter for taking picture of sunsets

Vic Vinegar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a wide angle lens that can be used to take shots of the landscape during sunsets. This is the first time I am doing this so I don't know much about what filters or lenses to use. I heard you can make a DIY solar filter and tape it to the lens.

You don't "need" hardly anything except TIMING. This was taken with a $100 point & shoot camera.............

IMG_0153.jpg

Thanks for replying. I was actually wanting to catch the sun in the photo though.

Gotcha. There are polarizing filters and graduated neutral density filters that people use for sunsets. Some can be had for little money. I have never heard of the DIY job you mention. As far as lenses go, the widest focal length I have used is the Canon 18-55 f.3.5 STM kit lens. It does a good job. Some people like to "bracket" exposures for sunsets and compile them during post processing. This allows you to keep some detail in the dark areas, especially in the foreground which are inevitable when shooting any backlit subject.

2 soft grad NDs with one reversed will create the effect of a reverse gnd. But it will depend on the dynamic range whither you need it or not

Thanks for the help guys. I might update this question later in the month when I get the camera. Still waiting on my funding source... :/

2 soft grad NDs with one reversed will create the effect of a reverse gnd. But it will depend on the dynamic range whither you need it or not

Are you saying to use a filter, then turn it around and use it again, and then combine the 2 pictures?

any lens can do you you want it to do.
If you want wider, then you want a wider angle lens.
A 35mm or 24mm is a good start, or an 18, or 10mm
It all depends upon your budget and exactly you are looking to do.

Also, filters are then very important to help you with the result for a varying amount of situations.

If you are doing landscape you may want to read this (square filters) ==> An Introduction to Neutral Density Filters and Why You Need Them for Landscapes Photography Forum

(screw on) ND filter thread ==> ND filters - anyone have various NDs photos Photography Forum

and ==> ND filter systems Photography Forum

I have 77mm B+W filters (vary with which ones) and I have a CPL, ND4, ND8, ND16, ND64 and I forgot what else. I also take pictures of the Sun so I've got some good blockage.

Doing landscape I've come across the need to use a Square Variable ND filter but just use my CPL. It's a costly upgrade to good square filters such as Lee Systems. Such as this ==> Lee Filters FK Foundation kit 4x4 Graduated Holders and Lee FK adapter rings

Also check your budget. Really GOOD filters can cost alot. B+W offers a plethora of expensive to mildly costly filters. There's alot of other brands too, and alot of cheaper brands.

Here's an examle of prices for various NDs ==> B W 77mm ND filters Buy or Learn at Adorama

The whole naming convention seems screwy until you understand it .. or use this as a BIG CHEAT SHEET ==> Neutral density filter - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Unless you mean you want to take pictures of the sun like this ==>
20140827-NKN_7892 by stevesklar, on Flickr

Then you need a bit more light reduction :)

You can probably start with what you have?
What do you have ?

It becomes the ability of the photographer him/herself to adjust the exposure, and maybe some post processing to being out shadow details, colors etc.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens that can be used to take shots of the landscape during sunsets. This is the first time I am doing this so I don't know much about what filters or lenses to use. I heard you can make a DIY solar filter and tape it to the lens.
Yes, people have used welder's darkening glass to jury-rig a ND filter. There are problems that may or may not bother you.

1. The welder's glass is not the same optical quality as a purpose-built ND filter for photography, so you can expect some loss of image quality overall.

2. The color may not be "neutral" in the same sense as photographic filters.

3. You'll spend lots less buying a welder's glass, but then you have to tape it on, and the tape leaves sticky residue.

Most good advice here will be buy the best filter you can afford, and buy it only once. Or if welder's glass is all you can afford, go ahead and try it.

Oh yeah, Solar Filter film. There's many brands out there.
there's Baader film
Orion safety film
AstroSolar
and a bunch of others out there. Just search the internet for "solar filter film" and there's plenty of sites for DIY filters.

I use a few stacked B+W filters.

Thank you all for the help. I'll look at those links tonight. I was thinking kind of like this with the sun. There is a state park around here that has amazing summer sunsets and it sets behind a hill with trees on it. I would like to be able to get the trees and the sun at the same time. That's what I meant when I said I want the sun to be in it.
HD-Dawn-Sunset-Wall.jpg

Oh and as for the camera, I haven't been able to buy it yet because the funding is scare ATM. My sister has my dad's nice camera and I can't get it back because her kids broke it... Because children are great right?! I have my eye on a used Rebel T5 but I don't know if that is overkill for my needs. I'd rather save on the camera and spend the money on the lenses and filters instead. The only difference I can see between it and a T3 is pixel density but since I'm not taking poster size pictures then I don't care about pixel density. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Are you saying to use a filter, then turn it around and use it again, and then combine the 2 pictures?

No. I mean put one gnd in the filter holder with the grad at the top then put one in the filter with the grad at the bottom and you'll get a darker band across the middle for sunsets. This may explain it better

Ad-hoc Reverse ND Graduated Filters - On Landscape

Most reactions

New Topics

Back