Wide Angle Lens For Canon EOS 7D

Kk4jas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking for a new wide angle for quite some time now. I really would like to spend no more than around $650. I am mainly going to be using it for landscape photography, but I am help film a "movie" creating awareness about bullying this summer that is going to be mostly indoors. So it would be great if I could find a lens that works great for both.

I have been hearing mixed reviews about several different wide angles I have been looking at. Including the Canon 10-22, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16, and others.

Any advice would be appreciated.

*Also any advice on ND filters would be appreciated!

Welcome aboard.

I used to have the 10-22mm and it was a great lens. I really loved it. I only sold it because I upgraded to a full frame camera. It is/was a fair bit more expensive than the Sigma though, and I hear the sigma is almost as good.

Had sigma from my brother and bought 10-22 last year. Canon wins imho light weight fast focus. But that depends if you plan to switch to ff new sigma12-24 is ok. I used 16-35 II on my 30d and it is very nice glass. Was comparing sigma 30/35 vs 50 last friday as well. If you don't need that wide angle you can try ff glases. If you don't need zoom you can check prime's 14/24/30.
As for nd filters i don't have that big experience yet. I own nd8 and nd500 though ;)

Thanks for the replies, I am only wondering would something a little less wide work for shooting indoors?

Thanks for the replies, I am only wondering would something a little less wide work for shooting indoors?

We used the 17-40 on a 60D and 7D for almost a year no problem, with many photos indoors. However, we we're not doing any video, which it looks like you might be interested in ie. we can switch to vertical for photos but you can't do that really with video.

I bought the Tokina because it is sharp and and had a f/2.8. Here is a few images from it and my 60D...

Gorgeous shots, Tim Grey. You have a new like on facebook

We used the 17-40 on a 60D and 7D for almost a year no problem, with many photos indoors. However, we we're not doing any video, which it looks like you might be interested in ie. we can switch to vertical for photos but you can't do that really with video.

Okay, thank you so much for the advice!

I bought the Tokina because it is sharp and and had a f/2.8. Here is a few images from it and my 60D

Those are beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I have the Canon 10-22 and really like it. Its great for landscapes and the long end is distortion free so you can use it for street shooting/environmental portraits if you need that focal length. I would also consider the Tokina simply because of the f/2.8, but I know that it doesn't handle flare as well (which can be a big problem with UWA lenses ) I have also owned Tokina lenses before and their build quality/durability is pretty nice. Just my 2 cents.

Most reactions

Back