Wide angle lens for Canon T1i

RLS6381

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking for a wide-angle lens for my T1i. A local camera shop offers one by Crystal Vision that threads right over the Canon lens. The shop owners says this lens provides an 80% frame than the Canon wide angle lens. The Crystal Vision lens also includes "macro(s)" - and I'm not really sure what this means. The price is $249.

I'm fairly new to photography and am trying to complete my camera package. Any help/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Do not buy the "Crystal Vision". It's not really a DSLR lens, just a filter. The optics are often not great, and will severely harm image quality.

You might be better off with a Sigma 10-20mm.

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, that 'lens' you mention is just something that screws to the front of your existing lens like a filter. It will give you a wider view, but the image quality would be disappointing to most of us (your expectations may vary). If you are on a tight budget and you want to try something...this might be an option...but as we said, don't expect great quality.

A much, much better option would be a wider angle lens (shorter focal length). I had a Canon EF-S 10-22mm and it was one of my favorite lenses. Really wide angle of view and great image quality. I only sold it because I upgraded to a camera that wasn't compatible. A less expensive option would be something like the Sigma 10-20mm.
Either way, it's going to cost a lot more than a cheap wide angle adapter/filter...but the quality is much better.

I'm quite happy with my 12-24mm/4. It flares a bit, though. I'm changing, however, to the 11-16mm/2.8 model. The store gave me the wrong lens when I bought it, so I just pay the extra and hand in this one after 4 months of use.

Most reactions

Back