vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

my next big purchase for my camera will probably be a wide angle lens for my Canon D10, i was just wondering if any of you can steer me in the right direction.

I guess i can start off with what wide angle do you use and would you recommend it?

the hubby's got a nice wide lens for his 10D that i also use on my Canon Rebel film camera ... its one of his favorites (he gets territorial with it when i want to use it :lol:) ... but i'll let him jump in and elaborate on the specifics :D

The issue with wide lenses on the 10D is the magnification factor of x1.6.
To get something similar to a 24mm which is fairly wide IMO, you'll need
a 15mm for the 10D. It will burn a decent hole in your pocket...

I settled for a Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-f4.5 zoom lens... still, it was close to
$500. Image quality is good, AF is noisy as hell and the lens is very heavy.

this one seems to be a fair deal:
http://www.grantheffernan.com/misc/zenitar/zenitar.html

Mark

I would go with Sigma. In fact I have, ordered a Sigma 20-40mm f2.8 last week for B&H, should arrive Tuesday. I know that a lot of $$$$$$$, but the lens should last me a like time I hope. Have been using a Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 as my prime lens but found it to be a little long on the D10 when close to the subject, first went with Sigma back in the Canon AE1P days because I read that they where the EOM supplier for Canon lens (back in 1987) and they were cheaper. Sigma has a few nice WA zoom lenses in the 400-650 USD range

that 20-40 is actually a 32-64 because of the 1.6 magnafication factor. So you will want a lens smaller than that.

Most reactions

Back