wide angle lens nikon d3200?

grnmnks8u

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i am looking for a wide angle lens that would be good to shoot outdoor scenes such as mountains,rivers,forests etc and also would like to be able to produce very sharp high detail shots of things really far away but also have the ability to produce shots with a narrow depth of field and maybe be able to have its secondary use be to shoot people,portraits, or anything in nature that i would like to highlight by producing a blurry background behind the subject. so.... i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? or maybe online resources that i could read up on? thanks alot!

You are describing really 2 lenses. The 1st would be of course a wide angle lens like something in the 11-16mm range. The second lens would be a portrait lens with a large maximum aperture like a 50mm to 80mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. The closest thing I can think of would be a Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Nikon also makes a 17-55 f/2.8 DX that is pretty pricey.

I'm seriously contemplating getting the new Sigma 17-70/2.8 Macro. Sure they have it for Nikon as well.

wide angle and portrait lenses aren't generally the same. Yes of course you can take portraits with any lens but generally it's accepted that longer focal lengths produce more flattering results.you need more than one lens to do more than one thing

Do you have any lenses?What are they? If yes does it start at 18mm? Is this not wide enough? Finally what's your budget. If you give us that info you'll get some good info

So i am looking for a wide angle lens that would be good to shoot outdoor scenes such as mountains,rivers,forests etc and also would like to be able to produce very sharp high detail shots of things really far away but also have the ability to produce shots with a narrow depth of field and maybe be able to have its secondary use be to shoot people,portraits, or anything in nature that i would like to highlight by producing a blurry background behind the subject. so.... i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions? or maybe online resources that i could read up on? thanks alot!
Did you not get a lens with your camera?

I would not recommend using a wide angle for portraiture.

This might be a good read for you, for starters ==> Understanding Camera Lenses

I think I see 3 lenses in your description, and several thousand dollars.
But if very limited budget, you could always opt for those 18-300 lenses which are very good at a lot of things, thought not "great" by comparison to pro lenses..

Let's keep this simple.

The kit 18-55 is a great lense for that camera.

Even simpler?
Nikon 35mm f/1.8 $200

The 35mm isn't a "go everywhere do everything lense" but, its wide enough to get nice landscape shots, but also, when you factor in the sensor crop factor, gives you about 50mm, which is nice for portraits. Its also a relatively fast lense at 1.8. Being that its a prime you will learn to frame shots well.

Now if you want to spend thousands on telephoto lenses, that's an option too.

sorry i havnt been on in a while,2 jobs n all... i am really looking for a lens that takes great landscape shots, and am wanting to spend $200-$300 and am willing to shop around for a deal to get one. it would be nice if i could get portraits out of it but it doesnt sound like that is going to happen... so really i just want a great lens for landscapes, wide angle so and a decent amount of zoom so i have the ability to take as much as i want into one shot without getting to much distortion. if anyone is still reading this post :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back