Wide angle lens question (upgraded from a 40D to a 5Dmark 3)

jordanzs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now that I've upgraded from a 40D to a 5dmark3, I need to update my wide angle lens. I've been using a 10-22.

I'm mainly looking at the 17-40f4 and the 16-35 f2.8.

Will mostly be used for landscape, sunsets, night photography (slow shutter speed on a tripod). Some people stuff here and there, using a flash.

I know that the 16-35 is a superior lens, goes to 2.8 and works better in low light without a flash, etc etc, and I've read all the reviews, but there is a pretty big cost difference and I could apply the savings elsewhere.

My main question (and I don't see this in any reviews) is has anyone switched from a crop sensor & 10-22 setup to a full frame and 17-40 setup? How do they compare? Seems like the 10-22 multiplied by the 1.6 crop would provide a similar field of view as a full framed 17-40? How does the sharpness compare, mainly at the wide end? I've seen some complaints about the 17-40 not being sharp at the edges, but I've also heard that about the 10-22, and that lens is fine for me.

I was in the same situation, landscape, and night photography and went with the tokina 16-28 2.8. Depending on how much you like to shoot sunsets it may have too much flare for you. But manageable depending on where you frame the sun in. Its a $800 lens that compares well against the 16-35L II, if not better. If you are open to looking at 3rd party manufacturers. If you like to shoot at night and are set on one of those lenses your going to want to go with the 16-35 with the 2.8.

You could always rent the two lenses for a few days and put them through the paces.

10-22 X 1.6 crop = 16-35.2 -- so basically it's the same range with respect to angle of view you'll get in the images with the 16-35mm.

There are a few things that an f/2.8 offers you besides more light. Consider that there are several focus points only work when you have an f/2.8 lens attached. That means the focus system and accuracy are improved even if the shot you take is not at f/2.8.

See the guide here: http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC_Updated_June_2012.pdf

Specifically look at pages 36 through 39. The 16-35mm f/2.8 II is a "group A" lens. The 17-40mm f/4 is a "group C" lens. It looks like it can't use the diagonal cross "X" points in the center with the 17-40mm lens.

Most reactions

Back