Wide Angle Lens...So Confused.

mdith4him

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I still lurk every now and then--don't post as much anymore. I'm looking around for a new lens to add to my (small) collection. I have a T1i, the standard Canon kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.8. I'd love to pick up a wide angle lens within a $350ish budget. The three Canon lenses I've looked at are the 35mm f/2, 28mm f/28, and the 24mm f/2.8.

I've looked at so many websites and read a bunch of reviews. I think I've got information overload :confused:

How do these lenses really differ? Anyone have sample photos you have taken with them? Is the extra $100ish between the 24mm and the 28mm worth it?

HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

I still lurk every now and then--don't post as much anymore. I'm looking around for a new lens to add to my (small) collection. I have a T1i, the standard Canon kit lens, and a 50mm f/1.8. I'd love to pick up a wide angle lens within a $350ish budget. The three Canon lenses I've looked at are the 35mm f/2, 28mm f/28, and the 24mm f/2.8.

I've looked at so many websites and read a bunch of reviews. I think I've got information overload :confused:

How do these lenses really differ? Anyone have sample photos you have taken with them? Is the extra $100ish between the 24mm and the 28mm worth it?

HELP!!!

What kind of pictures are you looking to use it for?

The biggest difference will be the field of view (FOV), or how much of the scene the lens is able to capture. It will be expressed in degrees, such as 75° or 83.2°.

The smaller the mm number/larger FOV°, the more the lens can 'see'. The f-stops are close enough to not cause much concern.

Which one will work the best for you depends on what you want & need. If you've found yourself in the past thinking, "Gee, I wish I could get just a little more into these shots....", then the 35mm might be best. If you're wanting to simply step into the WA arena, maybe the 28 will work. If you want to do landscapes and building interiors, the 24.

I'd go for wider than a 24mm since you are shooting on an APS-C body. You'd be kind of disappointed when your kit lens can shoot at 18mm. I'd look into an EF-S wide angle lens or one designed for an APS-C sized sensor. I have a full frame camera, and shoot with the 35mm f/2 occasionally. Here's a shot I took with it either wide open or between f/2 and f/3.2 on a full frame. It's a nice lens that's quite sharp and gives you the FoV of a 50mm on a full frame camera. So it would be better for indoor shooting than your 50mm f/1.8.

167908_10150387565485121_713495120_16712276_2177179_n.jpg

Hello everyone,

HELP!!!

Considering what you have, I'd suggest get a Sigma 10-20mm UWA for around $350. When you decide to get rid of your kit lens and upgrade your kit, then try canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm. You won't regret iether way.

Hello everyone,

HELP!!!

You say you want a wide angle lens, but (in case you didn't realize) none of the lenses that you mentioned, are wider than the kit lens you have now.
If you want to see the angle of view that those lenses would have, just set your kit lens to about those focal lengths and look through the viewfinder.

Of course, those are prime (non zoom) lenses and have a larger maximum aperture than your kit lens. So that's certainly a step in the right direction.

But yes, if you really want a lens with a wider field of view, then you will have to find something with a focal length shorter than what you have now. The Sigma 10-20mm is one of the least expensive ultra wide angle zoom lenses, but I'm not sure you'll find it for $350.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back