Wide angle lens suggestions?

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking for a wide angle lens that's affordable in the 14-24mm range (not necessarily one that you can zoom in, but i want a low mm lens).

What're you people using? Do you like it?

I might just cave and go for the wide angle L series, but figured I would see what everyones using...

I shoot mainly with my 7D.

There isn't much choice of L lenses that will give you an ultra wide angle view on your (crop sensor) camera. The widest L lens I can think of is a 14mm prime...and it's really expensive.

There is the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, which many will say, gives you image quality on par with many L zoom lenses. But Canon doesn't give the L designation to EF-S lenses.
I've owned the 10-22mm and I loved it. I only sold it because I upgraded to a full frame camera and basically traded it for a 17-40mm F4 L.

There are some off-brand, wide angle lenses that are less expensive than the Canon. Check out Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye?

I suggest the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM for $475 IF you dont plan on upgrading to Full Frame any time soon.

I had a Sigma 8-16 before I got my 5D. It's as wide as you will get, and it has some great optics. The full-frame equivalent, the 12-24, is also awesome.

I use the Sigma 10-20mm Great lens. Sharp and relatively inexpensive.

i just got the tamron 17-50 2.8 non vc and think its pretty good so far. saw a bunch of good reviews on it and figured giving it a try and not one bit sorry.

I have the Canon 14mm f/2.8L but I shoot with a full-frame camera -- it's _really_ wide. On a crop-frame like the 7D it would be closer to 23mm on a full-frame. That's fairly wide, but not _really_ wide. If you want a strong wide angle for a 7D then you might want something closer to 10mm. Canon only makes that in the EF-S series such as the EF-S 10-22mm and there are a number of 3rd party lenses in a very similar range.

Wow, thanks for all the responses all.. I am going to research all the lenses that were suggested. I'll let you know what I go with. I appreciate all the responses.

That being said.. since it's not a FF and is a crop image sensor.. is there a conversion chart, or multiply by X estimate for these things? Just curious.

As far as Field of View (FoV) concern, it is 1.6x for your 1000D and 7D.

For example, a 10mm lens mounted on the 7D will have a FoV equivalent to a 16mm lens mounted on a 5D. Again, no change in focal length, just the FoV. If you have not use nor not used to 35mm film or Full Frame camera, the cropped factors do not mean too much to you.

Most reactions

Back