Wide Angle Lens?

King-J

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been looking at getting a wide angle lens for my new 60D, knowing that I have a crop factor of 1.5 - 1.6 (depending who you talk to), I'm looking for a good allround Degree of angle at this crop factor, most of the shots I do are of small streams, waterfalls and I'm trying to capture more of the surrounding landscape. I would also like to be able to use it indoors for group family photos.
The two lenses I have been looking at are Canon's EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM and Canon's EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.
Any Info would be appreciated.

Hi

You could try looking at the 15-85mm lens it's got a good reviews on it so has the 24-105mm lens, nice to see another member with a 60D like me.;)

If you want to get really wide you could always try the Tokina 11-16mm
DX/1.6x/APS Ultrawide
F/2.8

That little monster has let me work out of some close quarters and has paid itself off a few times. Its quite easy on the pocket too!

I'd get the 16-35 and then something like the 85mm or 50 mm if I need anything close to the 70 range. Or I'd just get the 70-200 :)

I've found that a wide angle zoom is more effective if it's wider with less reach. They have primes and other zooms that cover the 'standard' range

On. Crop, canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16. Nothing else mentioned is much wider than kit.

On. Crop, canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16. Nothing else mentioned is much wider than kit.

I was about to mention that...kit lens on my 60D is 18-135, that 24-70 L glass is a great lens but not if you're looking for a wider angle.

Canons are 1.6x crop and nikons are 1.5x crop other then a few of 1D series have a 1.3x not sure if there are any Nikons with another crop factor. Like ppl said above, the tokina or the canon are the widest available for the most part. One reason I ended up with the 5D over a 60D was so I could get wide angle shots.

If you need any demonstration pics of a 11 to 16 tokina on a Canon 50D I could put a couple up

If you want to get really wide you could always try the Tokina 11-16mm
DX/1.6x/APS Ultrawide
F/2.8

That little monster has let me work out of some close quarters and has paid itself off a few times. Its quite easy on the pocket too!

^^^^^that for DX

HAHHAHA, i was about to comment and tell you to get the 16-35 without reading what you have to say. but then again, i didn't wanna embarrass myself, so I read and it turned out to be one of your options, so yea, i say the 16-35 i a perfect lens! way better than the 24-70 when it comes to wide angles!

BZSPhotography said:
HAHHAHA, i was about to comment and tell you to get the 16-35 without reading what you have to say. but then again, i didn't wanna embarrass myself, so I read and it turned out to be one of your options, so yea, i say the 16-35 i a perfect lens! way better than the 24-70 when it comes to wide angles!

He's on crop... Get cannon. 10-22 or tokina 11-16.

He's on crop... Get cannon. 10-22 or tokina 11-16.

Yeah I would go with either of those if you want a true wide lens on the crop sensor. Tokina for more low light situations or the Canon for better IQ, less flaring, and more zoom range. Both are excellent lenses and Canon barely edged out the Tokina in IQ so you should be happy with either one. Only way I'd go with the 16-35L is if you plan on going full frame in the near future.

Last edited:
I have the Tokina 11-16. Awesome wide angle!

Sigma also has two wide angle lenses for crop cameras 10-20 f3.5 and 10-20f4-5.6.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back