Wide angle lens

Mr.French

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been researching this forum in search of a good wide angle lens I can bring with me to Boston to do some cityscape shots. I will be staying across the river looking at the city and I wanted to know if there was a good lens for close(in the city i.e. buildings) and far shots(from my hotel balcony). I have a 50MM f/1.4 lens but I'm not too sure if that helps much with land/cityscape shots. I also discovered that a 10-24MM lens would be useful and a beautiful shot of Boston I found here was shot at 13MM. I will most likely be renting a lens for the vacation, so I am open to almost anything if the price is decent. Thanks and sorry in advance if this is a repeated question.

Welcome to the forum.

First question...what camera are you shooting with?

Thank you...and AH, sorry. Its a Canon T3i rebel.

That helps. :)

My first suggestion would be the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. It's a great lens and it will give you a very wide angle view on your camera. A less expensive (but otherwise similar) option is the 10-20mm from Sigma.

I should mention that if you want to shoot buildings 'the correct way', you might consider a Tilt-Shift lens. Canon makes a 17mm T/S. It won't give you the ultra wide angles that you'd get with something shorter(wider) than 17mm, but a T/S allows you to makes lens adjustments (movements) so that you can lessen or eliminate the phenomenon where buildings lean into the centre of the photo when pointing up at them.
Of course, it's pretty easy to fix that problem with software, after the fact...but I thought I'd mention it.

This is great. Thank you so much for the reply and wonderful information. You've been a great help!

Most reactions

Back