Wide Angle Lenses for Canon...

Wide angle lenses are not usually the best choices for portraiture because wide lenses cause distortion.

Check out the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. There are similar lenses made by Tamron, Sigma & Tokina.

Do you have an idea of how wide you want to go? I recently heard someone refer to 24mm as "very" wide angle which I would strongly disagree with, but obviously people have different ideas of what constitutes a wide angle. As Mike points out distortion tends to be an issue, but needless to say it's more of an issue the wider you go, so a moderate wide-angle might be better for your purposes. Maybe a 16-35mm zoom? Also when you say 'natural light', could this also mean low available light? If so you may want something with a larger max aperture than most zooms allow; I would possibly consider a 24mm or 28mm f/2.8 (or f/1.8 if your budget will stretch); Canon and Sigma offer both. Of course I don't know what your budget is or what lenses you already have; that might help narrow your choices down a bit.

I have the 16-35mm L, and have found it to be too wide for portraits at 16mm. The crop factor makes it less apparent, but I really noticed it after I got the full-frame 5D. The distortion is the same (it's just that on a 30D the edges are cropped off).

You can get some good results anyway:

In the image on this page of my blog you can see a sample, but the lens was no more than a few inches from his head, definitely less than a foot:

The last person I took a portrait of at 17mm on a 35mm sensor wants to kill me for doing so :p And I only took this image to annoy him ;)

wide is not really a good choice for classical portraiture as it exaggerates depth and features ("huge-nose-effect").

What I want to use a wide angle lens for is for a large group of people. I have an opportunity to photograph a large number of pilots and their families surrounding an aircraft. I just assumed that this would be the lens to get. I'm also purchasing a 50mm, would that work just fine?

That is a different story...when you say portraiture, I think about one person or maybe a small group.

If you are shooting a large group, a wide angle lens may be required...however, there will still be distortion, especially at the sides.

If you have space to stand back far enough, the 50mm should work just fine.

Most reactions

Back