Wide angle lenses

I am just a bit leery about leaving the Nikkor line and getting a 3rd party brand.

Can't help you there ...

I have several third party lenses (Sigma and Tamron) as well as 2 Canon lenses. I'm happy with all of the ones I have. With unlimited funds, they probably all would have been Canon. I can see some difference (either build or focusing speed -- not necessarily IQ) with all of them and the OEM except for the Ultra Wide Angle. I did a side to side with my Sigma 10-20 and the Canon 10-22 and couldn't tell any difference. My Sigma focuses fast, is well built, and I love the IQ.

Right now it's between the 10-20 and 12-24. I've narrowed it down to 2 out of 5, but this last choice is the hardest. Part of me wants to save the $$ (almost half the price) but the other part of me is worried that it won't be very good. I am going to swing by Samy's Camera tonight and see if they have both in stock so I can compare them side by side before I order one.

You have absolutely no regrets with the Sigma, and it produces images that are up to your standards?

You have absolutely no regrets with the Sigma, and it produces images that are up to your standards?

The only thing AGAINST the Sigma in my mind is that it is a crop-sensor lens. I'll have to go shopping again if I ever buy a 5D MK II. Aside from that, I LOVE it. On the other hand, I'm no pro. You should get some input from those with far more experience than I. I know there are several here on the site.

Check out http://www.10-20mm.com

Awesome, thanks.

Does anyone have any pros/cons when comparing the Sigma 10-20 and the Nikkor 12-24 lenses?

This will not only be used for landscape, but also for photographing our groups when I am off-roading, if that makes any difference between the two.

Most reactions

Back