Wide angle shot - Is it out of focus or correct?

k.udhay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Two days back I shot this in my friend's wedding. I have no good experience in wide angle shot and hence tried this with curiosity (pic. attached)

Imgur

97FTYwO

While shooting this, I could not focus as it was very dark out there. Autofocus kept shunting even with LED modeling lamp of Godex AD200 on my subject. Hence,
1. I mounted the camera on a tripod
2. Turned live view mode
3. Composed the frame
4. Used magnifier button to navigate to the subject's face
5. Turned to manual focus, used the focus ring to get a sharp view of her face.
6. Pressed shutter.

For me, the image looks good. But when I zoom I see the subject(s) look out of focus. My friends also give the same opinion. My question is should I zoom and see or the image is alright for a wide angle shot? Plus, when I print it on a storybook, will it be giving the same "out of focus" look?

Edit - Image location added

Your photograph is not shown in your post.

Without seeing this, I will say there are some issues of concern in the methodology that you outlined.

First of all, with a wide-angle lens it is actually hard to miss focus if you are anywhere close to correct focus. The depth of field will be quite deep, so missing focus seems out of the ordinary.

Yes, in darkness your camera will not reliably find the subject unless you can direct some light onto your subject. Most cameras have a focus-assist light that can be switched on or off, so make sure yours in turned on.

With a normal aperture (f/5.6 to f/8) the depth of field should be adequate.

Please list all of the settings or post the photograph with the EXIF intact.

Thanks, desidner. I have kept the image here:

Imgur

I will post the exif image in some time. It is in my computer.

itll look just as oof if printed.

It looks out of focus (OOF) to me.

Thank you Derrel and Braineack... I better practice more. And as Designer pointed out, I should use smaller apertue opening.

Thank you Derrel and Braineack... I better practice more. And as Designer pointed out, I should use smaller apertue opening.
If you want to capture the "bokeh balls" in the shot, use a longer lens, not shorter. Make sure your focus area is on your intended subject.

Most reactions

Back