Wide Angle vs. Fisheye Lens...?

Audyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
That image was made with a full frame fisheye lens. The border was added by the photographer, not the lens.

I'm impressed that there's no vignetting at the corners.
My 24-70mm lens shows vignetting at the 24mm end on my 5D although I'm not sure if the polarizer is the cause or the lens.

If you are getting vggnetting with a 24 mm lens you are doing something wrong. You either have the wrong lens hood on or something is bad with your filter. Vignetting especislly with a digital should not start until extreme wide angle lenses if at all. Oh yeah and I agree that picture was taken with a fish-eye lens at least 17mm fo a 35mm camera if not lower.

JIP said:
If you are getting vggnetting with a 24 mm lens you are doing something wrong. You either have the wrong lens hood on or something is bad with your filter. Vignetting especislly with a digital should not start until extreme wide angle lenses if at all. Oh yeah and I agree that picture was taken with a fish-eye lens at least 17mm fo a 35mm camera if not lower.

5D is full frame though no?

I have both a circular and full frame Sigma fisheyes. The circular is 8mm for Canon EF mount and full 14mm Canon FD. Personally the 14mm is my favorite of the two but I do not ether a lot. i have sample of the 8mm use the link in my signature

It is certainly a fisheye. Quote from an interview with Friedman: "And all I had to know in 1975 was what a fisheye lens was because that's what I wanted to use. That was the cool thing for skateboarding."

Full frame fisheye. I'd guess 15mm or so.

fmw said:
What do you mean by cut off?

Maybe it's an Australian expression. I mean the darkening of the edges of the image that can be caused by a lens hood not being wide enough to cover the angle of the lens. I have a cheap fisheye which I have used on my Hasselblad and it gives me "cut off" or it gives me a round image on the film and cuts of drastically on the edges. Evidently the initial shot posted was on a fisheye, my mistake. I assumed it could have been a 10.5mm lens based on the images below.

33.jpg

Shot on a 24mm
32.jpg

Shot on a 10.5mm

Ah. In the U.S. we use "vignette," the French word. I couldn't tell you why. Putting a filter or a lens hood on a fisheye wouldn't work. That's for sure. They have a tiny little bit of hood built in but adding to it would certainly cause cut off. Here's an architectural shot I made recently with my 10.5

1s_5.jpg

theRossatron said:
5D is full frame though no?

Yes it is full frame so my 24mm is actually 24mm. No crop factor to take into account.
My polarizer (and ND filter) are standard ie not slim line, but even without a filter i can see a hint of vignetting on certain images.
Not enough to bother me but i can see it.

Out of interest does anyone know at which focal length vignetting will start to appear??

Most reactions

Back