Wide Angle Zoom Recommendation

Leo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 30D and I mainly use a Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 EF IS lens. I shoot Weddings and Debuts and I would sometimes need a wide angle lens. I sometimes use the 18-55mm kit lens, but I wanted something better especially in low-light situations.

I have kind-of narrowed down on these lenses;

Canon 17-40mm f/4L lens
Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 EX DG Aspherical HSM lens
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124AF Pro DX lens

I would love to stay with a Canon lens but the lower price of Sigma and Tokina is I think a good alternative.

What would you choose? I appreciate all your feedbacks.

Thanks

I'd probably go for the 12-24 simply becuase you already have a lens that covers most of the 17-40's range.

Do you want wide, as in similar to your kit lens? Or wide as in 10mm or 12mm?

For shooting weddings & other low light events, investing in F2.8 zoom lenses is a wise choice. I would think that the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is too slow for many people (would be for me anyway).

As mentioned, the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS is the best lens in it's class...but it's expensive. I recently picked up the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 as an alternative and so far, I love it. Sigma also has a similar lens.

HI.. I do have the 28-135mm and as a complement to that I use the Canon Ef 17-40mm and I really am pleased about the results I get with it..

that is a nice lens, but it's way beyond my budget.
Yeah, I hate it when reality gets in the way of otherwise easy decisions. Its amazing how fast you can spend money when you start lens shopping.

JD

I've decided on getting the Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 EX DG Aspherical HSM lens. I need the f/2.8 for low-light situations. Thanks for all your replies.

That's good...but it's only F2.8 at the wide end of the zoom.

Since you already have the 28-135mm IS lens which is a great lens for most all situations and a 18-55mm kit lens in that range, I would recommend a wide angle prime for the best image quality in low light.

Do you want wide, as in similar to your kit lens? Or wide as in 10mm or 12mm?

For shooting weddings & other low light events, investing in F2.8 zoom lenses is a wise choice. I would think that the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is too slow for many people (would be for me anyway).

As mentioned, the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS is the best lens in it's class...but it's expensive. I recently picked up the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 as an alternative and so far, I love it. Sigma also has a similar lens.

After some research I have decided to go with the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens like yours. I am picking it up tomorrow at a local photo shop. I got a wedding to shoot on Saturday.

Most reactions

Back