ACrossley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alishacrossleyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
I am currently researching a new wide angle lens for family and wedding photography. I shoot with a Canon with stock lens 28-135. I also carry a tele-photo lens, but do not use it often.

I am wanting to get a significant wide perspective. I would love to see sample shots if you personally have a lens to recommend. I am considering the Sigma 10-20 right now, but not sure if I should dish out more for the Canon 10-22.

Thoughts, friends?
Thanks!

Tokina 11-16
:thumbup: For an ultra wide

For a wide angle take a look at the 16-35mm f2.8L. They are expensive but an older Mark I version can usually be found at a good price.

:thumbup: For an ultra wide

For a wide angle take a look at the 16-35mm f2.8L. They are expensive but an older Mark I version can usually be found at a good price.
A 16-35 isn't going to be all that wide on a 1.6x APS-C sensor camera. He might want to look into a EF-S 10-22 for his body.

I assume he has a 1.6x body because FF Canon's don't come with 28-135mm kit lenses.

A 16-35 isn't going to be all that wide on a 1.6x APS-C sensor camera. He might want to look into a EF-S 10-22 for his body.

I assume he has a 1.6x body because FF Canon's don't come with 28-135mm kit lenses.

Agreed, however the 10-22 is an ultrawide angle and not the most flattering of wedding and family group lenses in most situations.

The 16-35 is a wide angle with a better perspective for the kinds of shots described that is fast enough for weddings and is highly regarded among wedding photographers.

The OP would probably want to go take a hands on look at both lenses to see what they can do. Since weddings was mentioned I would not suggest the 10-22 but rather the 11-16 Tokina, sharp, and fast at a constant f2.8.

Im happy with my sigma 10-20mm and shoot with it almost always at 10mm. I shoot mainly outdoor photography but i think subjects like weddings and other indoor events it might be a little slow for your needs.

The OP would probably want to go take a hands on look at both lenses to see what they can do. Since weddings was mentioned I would not suggest the 10-22 but rather the 11-16 Tokina, sharp, and fast at a constant f2.8.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the max aperture - I was just thinking about how "wide" the lens would be on his crop body.

The Tokina would definitely give him more latitude.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I am going to try to get my hands on the Tokina and play around. I am mainly wanting this lens for outdoor shots (big sky backgrounds) but will be using it some indoors as well. It sounds like the 11-16 will be a good one to check out.
Does anyone have one of the mentioned lenses who would be willing to share a sample photo taken with it?

Thanks again!
Alisha

[/Quote] Since weddings was mentioned I would not suggest the 10-22 but rather the 11-16 Tokina, sharp, and fast at a constant f2.8.[/QUOTE]

How big of a difference does the f-stop from 3.5 to 2.8 create? I am still learning the dynamics involved with the f-stop numbers. It does not sound like a huge difference, but it seems from the discussion it is??

I am in the same debate with another purchase ... Canon 50mm. How big of a difference should I expect from 1.2, 1.4, or 1.8? The price is a big jump, but what about the performance?

You guys are great! Such help ... very appreciated!

ACrossley said:
How big of a difference does the f-stop from 3.5 to 2.8 create? I am still learning the dynamics involved with the f-stop numbers. It does not sound like a huge difference, but it seems from the discussion it is??

I am in the same debate with another purchase ... Canon 50mm. How big of a difference should I expect from 1.2, 1.4, or 1.8? The price is a big jump, but what about the performance?

You guys are great! Such help ... very appreciated!

3.5 to 2.8 is a half stop difference. 1.8 to 1.4 is 2/3 stop difference, and 1.4 to 1.2 is a 1/3 stop difference. I hope that helps.

3.5 to 2.8 is a half stop difference. 1.8 to 1.4 is 2/3 stop difference, and 1.4 to 1.2 is a 1/3 stop difference. I hope that helps.

Thanks Gaerek, but I understand the amount in numbers. I am wanting advice from those of you who have used the various stops. How big of a difference will 1/2, 2/3 or 1/3 make in my print and light resources? Is it "worth" investing in order to get that 1/2 stop in wide angle or the 2/3 stop in the 50mm?

Thanks Gaerek, but I understand the amount in numbers. I am wanting advice from those of you who have used the various stops. How big of a difference will 1/2, 2/3 or 1/3 make in my print and light resources? Is it "worth" investing in order to get that 1/2 stop in wide angle or the 2/3 stop in the 50mm?

Ahh, I understand. I guess I can't really help you there. I only have the 1.8 and it works for me just fine. The only reason I'd upgrade to the 1.4 is mainly for the better build quality of the lens. The extra 2/3 stop would only be icing.

Most reactions

Back