Wide lens with filter?

rmstudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everybody! I am looking at Tokina wide angle lens, but after some reading on Masurovs blog I noticed that he does not recommend using filters on wide angle lenses due to vignetting ? Any experience? I'm planning on using ND and polarizer filters.
Thank you.

You will need to account for the lens you will use when choosing a filter holder. (assume drop in filters, as opposed to screw on type).
Lee filter holder with as many as 2 filters used at same time do not vignette on my 16-35 with my full frame canon 5d's. This particular lens is 82mm so you have to have the 82mm wide angle adapter., my 24-70 is 77mm, so I have to use the 77mm wide angle adapter for that.

If you search google specifying the lens and filter, you should come up with some results. Again, Lee filter holder with 77mm and 82mm wide angle adapters work with no vignette with 1 and 2 filters in holder. 3 I see a little.

So for drop in filters, you need, filter holder, holder adapter (mating the holder to a particular lens) and then the filters.

They say filters with thinner rims will help avoid the issue, but those are typically more expensive.

I'd say don't sweat it. If you have photoshop, it's an easy fix. I just do content aware fill or something along the line.

One solution (albeit not perfect) is to use an adapter ring and buy filters that are larger then the lens threads. The downside is you may not be able to use the hood.

I typically overcome the vignetting issue by routinely shooting wider than I need, so I can correct distortion and perspective in post, then crop out the vignetting.

I use the Tokina 11-16 with screw in filters, and the only one that vignettes is my 10-stop ND. You can never see the edge of the filter, and the vignetting that I do get is not abrupt. The glass on the 10-stop is so thick that you won't be able to avoid vignetting unless it's on a very long lens.

In short, I never worry about it, and it's never a problem. The 10-stop shots have their own look because of the center brightness, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

analog.universe said:
I use the Tokina 11-16 with screw in filters, and the only one that vignettes is my 10-stop ND. You can never see the edge of the filter, and the vignetting that I do get is not abrupt. The glass on the 10-stop is so thick that you won't be able to avoid vignetting unless it's on a very long lens.

In short, I never worry about it, and it's never a problem. The 10-stop shots have their own look because of the center brightness, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Yes, Tokina 11-16 is the lens I intend to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back