Wife lets you get a lens which do you choose?! 24-105 f4L or the 70-200 f4L?

Which Lens would you choose?!

• Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Canon 70-200 F/4 L non-IS

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other (please comment with other lens!)

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

JonathanNYC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes I know they are both used for different things but if you were me, in my position and your wife gave you the green light to get one, which would you get?

lenses i have already Kit 18-135 and a 50mm F1.4

so weighing the facts that I would be shooting mainly for hobby, taking pictures of my kids, and nature and other various assorted things (not shooting a wedding, nothing professional etc)

which would you jump on?

this one?
41FER7HPR7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

or the 70-200 NON-IS F4 L?

canon-70-200mm-f4-f28-comparison.jpg

Hands down 70-200. The other alternative would have overlapped entirely with your existing kit lens in terms of focal length...you would have then been stuck with three lenses that cover 50 mm!

Both play in a different league than your kit lens. So overlap in focal length range with the kit lens does not exclude any of the two.

And the 50mm is an altogether different purpose lens, so overlap is not a problem either.

Get the lens you most need for your kind of shooting, we cannot answer that for you.

I personally with what you shoot (probably not on a full frame sensor) would go for the 24-105, totally dump the kit lens, and get an additional wider angle well below 24mm.

I would get the 24-105 because I already have the 70-200. :lol:

It would p̶r̶o̶b̶a̶b̶l̶y̶ definitely be the more useful lens for taking pictures of the kids anyway...

Last edited:
When I get a new lens it usually costs me double..... I have to buy jewelry to go with it.

Fib a little on the cost and swing a 2.8 IS II...... ;)

what.... "WIFE LETS ME GET A LENS?!?!" go in her closet steal the shoes, then ler her know i'll "let" you have another shoe.

as for those two lenses... save up a bit more and go for a proper 2.8, you know u want it, you'll just lust after it anyways. Save the cash instead of spending more in the end.

It reeeeeeeeeeeeally depends on what you shoot most.

get a 24-70 f/2.8L or 70-200 f/2.8 (non IS to save some $).

Or just get the 24-105 f/4L, it is a good all around lens.

Wait for the delayed Canon 200-400 to come out and get it. :thumbup:

I was actually thinkin' about that 200-400. I heard IQ is supposed to be pretty decent eh?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back