Wife's Birthday Project: Needing PS Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyledmontague

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everybody,

I'm new to this forum and honestly joined in an effort to find someone with more PS experience than me (which won't be too hard since I have none) to help me do something special for my wife. I had the idea to get a panoramic photo of our wedding location framed for my wife on her birthday which is about a month away. Here's the photo:

(Obtaining rights from photographer to alter the photo)

I was really only hoping to get the yellow rope on the tree removed from the image. I wouldn't mind if there was other minor editing done to the photo, just do what you think would make it look best. I understand I am not an established member of this community and i apologize if this request rubs people the wrong way, I was just hoping to get some help to make this idea of mine even better. If anyone would be willing to help out I would be extremely grateful, and I know my wife will as well. Feel free to post any edits back in this thread, or email me at [email protected]. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help...

Kyle

Last edited:
The BIG question is: Do you hold the full copyright to this photo?
If it's not yours, nobody here is gonna touch it.

Sorry I didn't even think to address that issue. Here's the email from the photographer who gave me the photo:

Good afternoon,

When I am not at school or taking pictures I work as a guest service representative at Gordon Lodge on North Bay. About a week ago my manager, Rory Madsen forwarded me a message stating that you were looking for a panoramic picture of the point where your wife and you were married. I have attached a picture of the point and you may use it as the gift. If you were looking for a print, there are many websites such as http://www.mpix.com and my favorite, Online Photo Books, Prints, Calendar, Digital Photo Printing Services - AdoramaPix that you may use or please contact me for more information on my pricing. I hope that I e-mailed you before her birthday.

Best regards,

Zach Kunstman

KUNSTMAN DESIGNS

www.kdesigns.tk

10346 Orchard Drive
Sister Bay, WI 54234

I deleted his email address and phone number just out of respect of his privacy, but thats the email where the photo was attached to. Hopefully that clears up the copyright issues...

Okay, I hope this isn't going to sound snarky, BUT:
The problem is, that doesn't really seem to give you any rights to ALTER the photo, only to print the photo as is.
Photographers tend to take very seriously the rights of OTHER photographers to their photos, so most of us would not be willing to alter this without stated permission to do so.

If I were you, I'd email the person back, thank them very profusely for their photo and then very delicately throw in the question of whether it might be okay if you were to have someone remove the yellow rope from the tree.

*edit* Didn't read the whole thread, and assumed it was your own photo. Can email or re-post here once you verify with photographer that its okay to alter his work.

If you would like the full sized image it'll be $25

I'll go kill that attachment until you have a release!
View attachment 16943

I will give an update once I hear back from the photographer on whether or not he's okay with me editing the photo...

We've got to have you scan and post the release allowing us to work on it. I am sorry, but we've got to CYA!

If you would like the full sized image it'll be $25

I'll go kill that attachment until you have a release!
View attachment 16943

LOL; I saw that edit you'd posted and thought perhaps I didn't know you as well as I thought I did! Not that I "know" you at all; "cyber-know" I guess I should say. ;)

I will give an update once I hear back from the photographer on whether or not he's okay with me editing the photo...

If I were you, I'd take all the copyright warnings on this forum with a grain of salt. Lots of Barney Fifes here, if you know what I mean.

:lol: Whatever.
It's really NOT being a "Barney Fife" to have respect for another photographer's copyright.
Fortunately, it seems to me that the OP understands that as well and is quite willing to do this the RIGHT way. So, kudos to the OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back