Wiggling time lapses

Torrey Meeks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, so here's my situation:

Every time I do a time lapse I get wiggle frame to frame. It doesn't matter how well I lock off my tripod and camera. I've shot all my time lapses on a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens and it's the same every time.

I've done three so far, and without exception the frame is moving from side to side, up and down - I'd say 1/32nd of an inch, and the wiggle consistency and pattern is pretty much identical. My only guess is that having the VC on while shooting a time lapse makes the lens create small adjustments with each shot, but I'm at a loss otherwise.

Anyone with experience or thoughts on this, I'd love to hear from you!

Turn off your VC and once focused, go to manual.

You are on a tripod, why is VC on anyways?

I just did a time lapse of a caterpillar eating a leaf, camera was locked down and I had the interval timer going every 5 seconds. I manually adjusted focus each time (for all 200 frames) and still didn't get wiggle.

What body are you using?

~Michael~

Turn off your VC and once focused, go to manual.

You are on a tripod, why is VC on anyways?

I just did a time lapse of a caterpillar eating a leaf, camera was locked down and I had the interval timer going every 5 seconds. I manually adjusted focus each time (for all 200 frames) and still didn't get wiggle.

What body are you using?

~Michael~

I was using a crappy tripod until about five days ago and thought I might need VC due to any shake introduced from the shutter action.

(I'm sort of a noob when it comes to photography. I've been doing video and film for three years, but just recently started filming on a DSLR, which has allowed me to experiment with stills and time lapses.)

I'll try my next time lapse with the VC off and see if that makes a difference. The frame movement has really been sticking in my craw, so I hope that's it. Thanks for the input on being able to pull focus on a 200 frame timelapse without any wiggle! Gives me hope. I'll let you know how my next one turns out.

I'll elaborate on the VC:

On a Nikon lens your VC is known as VR on Nikon. When it engages, it actually shakes the lens. It's not like an earthquake yet still, your image seems to "move" as it's engaging.

Unless you are using a self timer on 5 sec or more, your wiggle is more than likely from the VC.

Also, if you say it's not a good tripod, that timer could help too. Just pressing the shutter on a not so good tripod can make it wiggle too. I once had a bad one and finally it just wouldn't even hold the camera and lens up, I finally had to upgrade.

~Michael~

PS: Thanks for the kind words, my only problem now is getting that time lapse together......

Most reactions

Back